Creating fractions in Word

chesterfield 19:00 07 Apr 04

I want o tbe able to create fractions in this form - ½ .

Ive just pasted this one in from a webpage. Some websites are suggesting that Word will automatically convert fractions that are typed in in this form '1/2', but this either works just for a half or not at all.

Ive discoverd that using the 'field' option from the Insert menu you can create a fraction, but they look a bit odd as they stick up above and below the line (I cant paste in an example of this im afraid). i want the cute, superscript versions!

Cheers

VoG II 19:04 07 Apr 04

Insert/Symbol, normal text will let you add ¼ ½ ¾

woodchip 19:05 07 Apr 04

Have a look in the Menu there should be something to add a Symbol I have WordPerfect and that's what is in mine. Otherwise go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\ Character Map

chesterfield 19:07 07 Apr 04

Thanks VoG - too easy - im embarrassed!

Use Insert symbol; on the Symbols tab select Arial Unicode MS as the Font and Number Forms as the subset. You can then have another 12 fractions to add to the standard 3.

I can only paste the thirds here

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

the squares are 1, 2, 3 & 4 fifths

1 and 5 sixths

The eights are pasted correctly into the word document.

If you want different fractions have a look at the following link

click here

HTH

I notice that the 1 and 2 thirds have been converted to ? akso

keith-236785 20:00 07 Apr 04

for ½, press and hold ALT then type 171 on the number pad, when you let go of the alt key it will put the ½ on your screen, works on most word processors, even Notepad.

i have a list somewhere which i will find, if you send me an e-mail, i will send you the list of ALT codes (its an excel file so you will need office to open it)

keith-236785 20:03 07 Apr 04

just found the printed list,

ALT + 171 = ½

ALT + 172 = ¼

ALT + 243 = ¾

thats all there is on the list for fractions so no point sending e-mail

hope this helps

Pesala 20:43 07 Apr 04

⅔ ⅕ ⅖ ⅗ ⅘ ⅙ ⅚ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

Dae 01:45 08 Apr 04

Any fraction you want can be created using Word's Equation Editor, with the numerator and denominator separated by either a horizontal line or a sloping line.

One source of a detailed set of instructions is a magazine called Small Printer, September 2000 issue, volume 36, number 9.

scotty 10:12 08 Apr 04

As Dae says, use equation editor. Quote from Word help:

"Insert an equation
Click where you want to insert the equation.

On the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create New tab.

In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation 3.0.

Click OK.

Build the equation by selecting symbols from the Equation toolbar and by typing variables and numbers. From the top row of the Equation toolbar, you can choose from more than 150 mathematical symbols. From the bottom row, you can choose from a variety of templates or frameworks that contain symbols such as fractions, integrals, and summations.
If you need help, click Equation Editor Help Topics on the Help menu.

To return to Word, click the Word document.
Note If Microsoft Equation Editor is not available, you may need to install it. How to install Equation Editor."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…