Creating a database site in Net Objects Fusion...

ade.h 15:41 17 May 06

I have volunteered (bad idea?) to help with getting a small online bookshop updated/overhauled, so I need to know a few basics about setting up a simple PHP database site using NOF:

The pdf mentions starting out by creating an ODBC data source on my PC; I thought that would be easy, but there are different options and I'm not clear about which to use. I have been helpfully provided with an mdb file, which I also have in txt format. It was not created in Access - will this be an issue?

Beyond that, I'm completely stuck. I know I need to use a Connector on each page, but I don't know what to set in its properties and the pdf is - as usual - as clear as mud. It helpfully states that you don't need a knowledge of PHP, but then fails to explain any of NOF's own terminology and what I need to do with each object. If I can just work out what each object actually achieves, why I should use it, how to use it and where... well, I'll be sorted then!

I hope someone can help in some way; you'll have my eternal thanks!

harristweed 16:17 17 May 06

I would recommend you get your hands dirty and ‘do it yourself’ rather than have a program code it for you. The benefit of doing it yourself is that when the requirement is outside of the limited scope of the software, you will be able to do it because you UNDERSTAND what’s going on!

However if you are going to use PHP then an Access database is going to give you a few headaches. Much better to use MYSQL with PHP. A text file can easily be ‘dumped’ in to a mysql data base.

It is almost essential to have a local testing server, much easier than trying to do it on the web.

There are loads of tutorials on setting up PHP/MYSQL and it thing some threads on this forum.

A good basic tutorial about PHP/MYSQL is here.

click here

Good luck, I’m sure you will enjoy the challenge.

ade.h 16:23 17 May 06

"I would recommend you get your hands dirty and ‘do it yourself’"

That's out of the question, I'm afraid. I appreciate that you are trying to help, but I am not going to be able to do any coding, PHP or otherwise, and it is highly impractical and nearly impossible to attempt to mix NOF design work with your own hard coding.

You can still help me with your other comments though:

How would I dump a text file into a MySQL database?

How would I get a MySQL database?

How would I get and use a local server? What is it? Would it work with NOF?

harristweed 16:42 17 May 06

A local server is using your computer to render the webpages that you create. So instead of uploading them to your host you have a server on your PC and view them locally. You install PHP and MYSQL on your PC also. Then you can test everything without even having an internet connection.

There are threads on this forum about setting up these. The server that works best with PHP is Apache.

You could setup Apache to work from at your NOF folder. Then you can test your pages as you edit them, in your browser.

You can get MYSQL and PHP free. Read the threads, I think there is a download that has all three and sets it all up for you.

To do the text dump you need phpmyadmin. This is also a free program that allows you to control MYSQL easily.

ade.h 16:49 17 May 06

Harristweed - thanks for the response. I will look into that perhaps, as it may be useful, though I have a spare PHP/MySQL enabled server account that I will use for testing anyway.

In the meantime, if any NOF users out there have created a database with it, or set up an ODBC data source, I would appreciate any advice that you cn give.

beynac 18:08 17 May 06

Try Xampp click here

Try the "Zip Archive" option. This is very easy to use, does not need to be installed and gives you an Apache PHP server with MySQL and includes phpmyadmin (mentioned by harristweed).

ade.h 18:35 17 May 06

Right, here's how far I've got so far, by following the pdf manual.

I click on New External Data Source from the Advanced Tools pane and click on the layout region. It comes up with this click here I try to get past that, but I just don't know how to use it. The pdf doesn't explain whether I should use a file or machine data source. I tried creating a new machine data source that referred to the txt file that I have been given, but NOF then goes all non-responsive when it tries to use it.

Can anyone give me a run-through on how to use the data source thing?

ade.h 22:02 17 May 06

Thank you for your link, by the way. I read up about it and it looks very good, perhaps easy even, but I'll tackle that once I have got over the ODBC hurdle first. That's the numero uno issue at the moment as I can't get any further until that's sorted out.

ade.h 17:48 19 May 06

I think I may have worked out the ODBC thing, but I now need to figure out how to import the database into NOF.

I have clicked on Add External Data Source, which I think is correct, and selected my machine data source and the tabbed file within it. NOF now seems to be importing or decoding it, occasionally asking me "feild F2 (for example) can be linked as an image" or something like that, and I click on Okay.

But I honestly don't know whether I'm doing this right, as it has been using 100% CPU for a couple of hours now.

Can anyone please advise me about this? I'm tearing my hair out and getting pretty stressed with it all.

ade.h 20:48 20 May 06

I have, with a lot of guesswork, created some ODBC sources in System DSN based on mdb, csv and xls files. So far so good.

But, when it comes to creating the connector on each page in the site, things get problematic again. Making the connector and assigning it a local data source is easy and seems to work (it reports a successful connection), but it's not automatically creating a schema from the source, like it's supposed to. All I get is this click here.

Can anyone figure out why it won't make the schema? I have tried it with all my various data sources and the result is the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…