Creating a customer database...

nick_j007 10:47 15 Dec 05

Morning all.

I have a list of 50 or so existing clients I really should set up on an electronic list to enable easy searching, lable printing etc.

Which programme do you advise me to do this with please?

I have Outlook, though never used it, and use Incredimail for my email. I see with my email package I can insert addresses etc., but it appears not to be a searchable database.

Many thanks for any early pointers.

Merry Christmas.

Nick

CLONNEN 11:13 15 Dec 05

Personally I use Microsoft Office 97 for all my business database stuff - Access and Word between them can mail merge into emails (doesn't have to be Outlook - I use Outlook Express).

Access holds all the customer names, customer email addresses, pricing, items etc.

Word has mail merge documents which link to the Access database and can be printed out or sent via email to your default email program.

PaulB2005 11:22 15 Dec 05

Excel and Word make an easier Mail Merge and Excel isn't as complicated as Access. You can migrate to Access at a later date if you have Access.

Or use OpenOffice click here

CLONNEN 11:28 15 Dec 05

If you don't require merging to emails - Microsoft Works 2001 using the Database and Word Processor will be able to merge to the printer.

Taff™ 12:08 15 Dec 05

I agree with PaulB2005. Excel & Word for starters. I have a similar nmber of clients and I`ve set up a simple database in Excel with sheets for invoicing through mail merge with Word. I also have set up simple Cash Books, Bank Account reconciliation & Budgets etc All in Office XP (2002)Merging e-mails is also a doddle.

jz 21:37 15 Dec 05

If using Excel instead of Access, I guess that's fine if you only want one table, but if you want more than one, am I right in saying that it's best to use Access?

nick_j007 22:40 15 Dec 05

Just to let you all know that I appreciate the input so far, and will absorb the comments fully tomorrow.
I do have Excel by the way, so I shall take that into account.

Nick

wee eddie 23:19 15 Dec 05

"Ability"

Would handle the task very well for you.

I frequently regret having left it. M$ Office has far too much in it for a simpleton like me.

Mind you, I'd suffer withdrawal symptoms without "Outlook"!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…