Creating a contact form

lezperez 13:26 26 Oct 08

Hello. My fiance decided to make a website for girls party ideas using sbi, so she asked me to do it for her. After some reading up, this is what I have come up with:
a href="click here">Click here /a>
So far I've taught myself XHTML and CSS (as much as I can anyway!). Now my future father-in-law has asked me to do his site for him. Now he wants a contact form like on the party site, but with sbi all this is included, you just paste the code into your page. How would i go about creating this myself? Also any criticism of my party site welcome, we've only been up for 3 months so still at the "development" stage lol!

peabody 17:17 26 Oct 08

You could use the same code that you have in your existing website. However, you'll see that the form actio points to a PERL (.pl) script in the CGI-bin folder on the server. You need such a mail script in the CGI-bin of the new server (and amend te code to point at the correct scrit). A popular one is FormMail (use Gogle and find a free download).

However, there is a danger (apparently) in using these scripts as they can get hijacked by spammers to send vast amounts of spam and then your ISP may suspend your account. If you know, say, PHP you can write a page that will send such a contact form that doesn't use a separate script in CGI-bin. This would be a safer bet.

lezperez 20:47 26 Oct 08

Thx peabody. Hes using 123reg.co.uk for his hosting and doesn't have php support. But like I said, I've only started learning HTML and CSS 3 months ago, so I know nothing bout PHP(or javascript or PERL!). The script for the form on the party site was generated by sbi, so I have never even seen the code. Any good sites you know to get me started? Plus what did you think of the party site? Thx again

peabody 21:35 26 Oct 08

click here to download/find out about the script. You don't need to understand PERL at all - just install the script in your server's CGI-bin. I'd rename it to help shake off the spammers - as long as it has the .plk extension it'll work.

You can open the script with Notepad or whatever and just change the paramters you need - follow the instructions.

Your site: I didn;t look too closely, but it seemed attractive and well structured. Well done!

peabody 21:36 26 Oct 08

... sorry - that should have been .pl' extension (without the k at the end!)

peabody 21:37 26 Oct 08

... sorry - that should have been '.pl' extension (without the k at the end!)

lezperez 21:48 26 Oct 08

Thx peabody will look into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…