creating backup/install disc from the hard drive

buckrogers 16:35 31 Dec 05

Recently I've lost the install/backup cd for powerdvd, but I have the program on my hard disk. Can I simply copy the program on my hard disk (using nero) onto a cd-r and will this autorun and install the program back onto my computer just like the original (should my hard disk fail at a later date)?? I had a friend advise me this can't be done but did not explain why not? Is the process more complicated than this?

Please help!

Strawballs 16:40 31 Dec 05

When you say that you have the program on your hard drive do you mean the installed version or a downloaded copy of the full program

pj123 16:45 31 Dec 05

No. Can't be done. You would need the full program CD again. But as you mention "should my hard disk fail at a later date" you should be looking at backing up your system on a regular basis anyway. Anybody who doesn't do backups is a fool.

buckrogers 16:45 31 Dec 05

I have the installed version - the original powerdvd 4 version installed from the original disc.

Strawballs 16:52 31 Dec 05

You could always buy a new copy for £4 from click here

mattyc_92 16:58 31 Dec 05

When you install a program, "Registry Entries" are created for the program to function and "know" where all the files that are needed are located.

If you just copy the folder containingg the program from the "Program Files", you will also have to find ALL registry entries, and other files that are located in the Windows directory.

You need the "Installation" (setup) for the program in order to install onto another computer.

Hope this helps you.

buckrogers 13:29 05 Jan 06

thanks for the info. Surprised that in this day and age theres not a program in existence or any other method that allows this process to be done in reverse.
Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…