creating a backup of Word template and dictionary

johnem 11:10 19 Jun 03

Hi gang, I'm sure that this has been requested many times before, but I did not make a copy of the information. I am at last trying to make preparations to reformat and re-install W98SE. I have made backup copies of most of my data and then realised that I was not sure how to make a copy of the modified word template and the modified dictionary and items in the Auto Text box in Office 97. I have also tried to copy my various Dial Up Network settings, but to no avail. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Big Elf 12:00 19 Jun 03

As far as the template goes search for 'normal.dot' (or *.dot if you renamed it). The dictionary is probably called 'custom.dic'. I don;t know about the Auto Text though.

VoG® 12:49 19 Jun 03

AutoText entries are stored in normal.dot

Granger 13:10 19 Jun 03

I used to use 98SE, and used to back up (from memory) the folder windows\application data\microsoft\templates\ and the file windows\application data\microsoft\proof\custom.dic. Don't forget your Outlook files in windows\local settings\microsoft\outlook\.

johnem 13:23 19 Jun 03

Thank you one and all, I knew I could rely on your help. I will make and keep a copy of this info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…