Creating Backup Discs

onokeck 15:50 27 Jul 04

Okay, everyone 'bangs' on about "Make sure you back up everything". Well, can someone please explain to me (in simple terms please) how I do this. I can backup the registry, but how do I backup everything on my hard drive to regain it in the event of a major crash or to reload choice items on a new PC? I have a CD rewriter and plenty of CD-RW disks, but it seems like it would take a lot of disks to back up my hard drive, the contents of which at present is 20Gb+! This is nothing urgent or pressing, but I would be interested to know what to do when I decide to 'go for it'. I have over 4 years of junk cluttering up my machine and I'm tempted to use the recovery disk provided by Evesham and start over again, keeping only those items I really want. The system is AMD Athlon 1000 with OS Me w/528Ram and 30Gb HDD. Thanks for nay comments. Casey

jonnytub 15:54 27 Jul 04

use your cd-rw software to copy choice files. therefore if and when things go wrong or you do a system recovery, you still have the important files to hand.

jonnytub 15:54 27 Jul 04

use your cd-rw software to copy choice files. therefore if and when things go wrong or you do a system recovery, you still have the important files to hand.

jonnytub 15:55 27 Jul 04

oops

jonnytub 15:57 27 Jul 04

you could always use xp's own drag n drop system. Simply insert your cd-rw into the drive, then drag n drop the files you would like to backup to the same drive.

jonnytub 15:59 27 Jul 04

sorry just noticed you have win me os. What cd writing software do you have installed?

Stuartli 16:36 27 Jul 04

Don't use CD-RW disks, use good quality CD-Rs in multisession form so you can keep using them until full.

Their far superior reflectivity level prevents any possibility of a disk not being read.

Here's how to install MS Backup in ME:

click here

jack 19:51 27 Jul 04

Casey said Everything
I beleive I am right insaying that only documents
that is thing you have created like tects letter images.
There is no point in backing programs because
I understand[tell me I misunderstood if I have]
that bits of programs go here there and every where and if your primary drive goes down- it is better to reinstall clean from your program disks
[If you have them]

zootmo 20:13 27 Jul 04

your documents and anything else, utilities/drivers that have any value to you. Remember, the less sites you have to visit to update your computer after a reinstall the quicker the reinstall will be. A decent CD burning suite (and there are a lot) will manage a backup job painlessly, it's a basic funtion of a CD burner after all.In my experience, for what is worth, the one thing to know in computing is backup, backup,backup If you do have a crash you will be glad you did!

Stuartli 09:26 28 Jul 04

Absolutely sound and sensible advice.

Also, if you use Windows BackUp and the worse happens, it will undertake the Restore for you (I use XP Pro).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…