Creating Acronis TI images

Meshuga 19:43 21 Oct 06

I have an external usb hard drive and want to create images of hard drives from two different PCs and store them on that external HD. Can I do this please and restore them if required on to their respective PCs. Thanks.

Technotiger 19:55 21 Oct 06

Hi, making what I think is an intelligent Guess - Yes, if you make two partitions and put each backup into a different partition.
If not, I am sure someone else will soon say so.

Cheers.

Big Elf 20:01 21 Oct 06

Hi Meshuga. You don't need to create separate partitions. Each image will create it's own, single, file, if the disk you're copying is NTFS. If your drive is FAT32 then the image will be split into (roughly) 4GB file chunks.

Meshuga 20:13 21 Oct 06

Thanks Technotiger.

Meshuga 20:16 21 Oct 06

Hi Big Elf, nice to hear from you. One is NTFS and the other is Fat 32. Will that cause a problem?
Hope you and the Pixie are well. Meshuga.

woodchip 20:22 21 Oct 06

You can if you load them to the first partition only. that's if you have more than one partition on the drive. As Acronis only see's the first Partition on a External Drive

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:23 21 Oct 06

Could you put one inside Acronis secure zone and have the other outside it.

Meshuga 20:27 21 Oct 06

Thanks woodchip, only have the one partition on pcs and external drive.

Big Elf 20:28 21 Oct 06

I haven't tried that combination with a restore of an image but I would expect that TI would be able to differentiate between the 2 images even though they could be spread over more than 2 files.

I've just recently bought (yet another) external hard drive (Freecom 120GB 2.5" mobile drive for just under £100 from Novatech) and will be testing out restoring images to both NTFS and FAT32 but it probably won't be for a week or so. I'll let you know what happens but I'm not anticipating problems with Acronis differentiating between the 2 images.

woodchip 20:28 21 Oct 06

PS in Windows Acronis can see mor than one partition on the drive, but when you do a restore in a rescue from CD it can only see the first partition images. So if you put them on another partition they are no use to you in an emergency

Meshuga 20:29 21 Oct 06

Thanks HVR,not fully conversant with acronis yet so did not know there was a secure zone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…