Create your own XP boot disc

woodchip 23:11 28 Jul 07

I posted this quite a long while ago. If you have problems booting into XP. This may get you there so you can fix XP files.

First format a Floppy disc in XP

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc.

Then copy NTLDR back from floppy to the root of the drive.

Long Live the Floppy!

You can do the same on a CD make a bootable CD with NERO and burn the files to It.

woodchip 23:24 28 Jul 07

After creating the Disc, Try starting with it in the drive. This will also work with a Boot CD

woodchip 23:31 30 Jul 07

^^^^^

skidzy 23:35 30 Jul 07

Cheers Woody i was looking for that over the weekend,and could have done with that last night.

I use to have it somewhere,but god knows where it went to to.

Thanks again.

Not tried it on cd before though only floppy.

woodchip 23:37 30 Jul 07

If your comp supports a Memory stick to boot from you should be able to set it to boot from that in BIOS

2neat 23:40 30 Jul 07

I am Spartacus 00:02 31 Jul 07

I've just looked at my boot.ini and it lists 1 disk and 1 partition. Just curious why it lists 4 partitions on each of 2 drives?

woodchip 00:06 31 Jul 07

The others are for if you have more than the one drive

woodchip 22:36 31 Jul 07

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…