create a folder for all my passwords

mec13 17:56 01 Aug 05

I've gradually accumulated lots of different passwords for all sorts of different sites, which I write into my little notebook. Pages goes missing, passwords change etc, basically its a bit 'mishmash'

Those programs that keep your passwords are a bit complicated to me, so I thought why not just create a folder on my computer desktop, with a word doc inside, containing all my passwords. Then for added security, if possible, password protect access this folder on my desktop.

My machine is only used by my family, so security isn't that much of an issue (at home that is). I am one that use's the 'remember me' thing a lot, as I do in this forum, so passwords are to me, a bit of a nuisance.(I shouldn't have said that, should I)

Is it possible to password protect access to a desktop folder, and if so how, or is the whole idea nonsense.

I have XPhome sp2, and the usual antispyware things installed, firewalled etc.

ade.h 18:43 01 Aug 05

Not in XP home without third-party software. Could you keep the file on a USB memory stick? That works for me and I can carry it with me if I need to use someone else's PC. I also keep all my ftp and email account details in that file.

I, too, have a sieve-like head when it comes to passwords.

As well as the USB stick, I also make use of the password manager in Firefox as much as possible. This is compatible with the login forms on nearly all sites and you only need to remember one password and use it once per session on a 'when-required' basis.

roy 18:51 01 Aug 05

This small program might be what you want:

click here

Jackcoms 18:56 01 Aug 05

I agree with ade.h. The best security is to keep your passwords/log-ins, etc on an external medium such as a memory stick or floppy.

mec13 20:08 01 Aug 05

I get the impression that my idea a desktop folder, password protected, isn't such a good place to store my passwords then. I must admit 'roy', your link to 'passkeeper' does look simple ( I suppose?),but memory sticks are another headache with me, I could go on but I wont.

Hence my original question of trying to think of a simple way of storing passwords etc, in an easy-peasy, admittedly not very secure way. I just wanted something that was just a 'click' away,for quick reference to type that annoying password that everyone seems to insist on having. Yes I know they're essentuals, but they're still annoying, when you can't remember them when needed.

oh well!

mattyc_92 20:41 01 Aug 05

create a *.txt, *.doc, or whatever file you wish to store the passwords in. Then edit the file and but all your user info (usernames and passwords, but NOT any bank details at all).

Now download and install "WinZip" (click here) or "7-Zip" (click here). Now create an "archive" using one of these programs (7-Zip is FREE) and add your file with your user info into the archive. REMEMBER to use the "password" option and DON'T FORGET this password.

Now save the archive and delete the original file(s) you added.

And thats it. REMEMBER that this isn't 100% secure, but it is better than nothing.

lightfeet 22:56 01 Aug 05

Have you considered creating another User Account (password protected)& save your folder containing your passwords to this new desktop? This should work. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

mec13 23:36 01 Aug 05

mattyc_92, I have downloaded winzip, but never really used it properly, but thats one option I'll have a look at. As for logging of, then logging on to another account, well by the time it's all happened, looking through my scruffy little notepad for that top secret word is much quicker.

Of course Bank details are a different story, I'm talking about sites which I've subscribe to for various reasons, then visit maybe once a month, when the novelty has worn of (but not PCA :-))

Do appreciate your response's, thanks!

Forum Editor 23:58 01 Aug 05

but how do you forget these passwords? The whole idea behind password protection is that you never write the word down. With a bit of forethought you can develop a system that will enable you to use several different passwords ( I use four) and no more. If you work on the basis of coming up with a new password each time you need one you'll end up as you have - you'll have to write them down or risk forgetting them.

I have never had more than four passwords, so even if I forget which one I used for a particular resource I can always nail it within three attempts - the fourth try will be the right one.

Use an alpha numeric system for passwords, it's much more secure. Let's suppose your wife's name is Susan, and she is 45 years old - your password might be 543usan or 458usan or su45san or su54san, or 4susan5, or 5susan4 - I'm sure you get the idea. It's unlikely that someone would know Susan's age, even if they knew that you were using her name, so this method can provide some reasonably secure passwords. Provided you don't rely on such a short password for really important stuff, like your bank account, you'll be OK.

It's easy (for you) to remember the system, and even if you forget which password you used for a particular site you'll know which combinations to try - there'll only be so many.

I've used this system for years, and during that time I've employed the names of my children, my staff, and various other people I know well, plus various numerical combinations - I've never once been stuck without a password, and nobody has broken my code.

wee eddie 07:02 02 Aug 05

Adding Model or Manufacturer's name when a longer password is required.

Jackcoms 07:40 02 Aug 05

I agree with you entirely, and I always use an alpha-numeric system.

HOWEVER, there are some websites which give you a log-in (user) name and/or password without the option of changing them to something more 'memorable' or personal.

That's when it starts to get difficult and you need a separate record of your passwords, etc - especially when you have a pretty awful memory in the first place, like me. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…