create compressed PDF files that can be emailed

basilfawlty 19:29 24 Oct 04

what's the best software to help me scan my published articles into a pdf file?

I can't afford ADOBE, and the 2 alternatives I've tried (pdf995 - free - and Art Copy by Jetsoft) create a PDF file that's 6mb for an article just 6 pages long. Way too big to send by email.

There must be a product that does a similar job to Adobe Distiller - which seems to be able to shrink the file size down to a few hundred KB without reducing the resolution.

Any advice appreciated!

Forum Editor 19:57 24 Oct 04

if you want a reliable method of creating quality PDF files, and I suggest that if your budget doesn't run to Adobe Acrobat you
click here to see an excellent alternative. It will cost you £52 but it's worth it.

Bear in mind that the prime objective of any PDF creation program isn't to provide small file sizes but to ensure an accurate copy of the original document - viewable and printable by nayone with the appropriate reader. There's no doubt that Acrobat outperforms anything else that's currently available, which it is why it is increasingly being used as an archive format by many large corporations and institutions. They run automated PDF creation routines which convert all important documents for the archive.

basilfawlty 20:55 08 Nov 04

I've tried the suggested software, Jaws PDF Creator, and it doesn't help. If I create a PDF file from 6 jpeg files, each only 400kb, the PDF is nearly 6mb.

Pretty useless if you want to email it!

basilfawlty 20:55 08 Nov 04

I've tried the suggested software, Jaws PDF Creator, and it doesn't help. If I create a PDF file from 6 jpeg files, each only 400kb, the PDF is nearly 6mb.

Pretty useless if you want to email it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…