Create boots disk without floopy drive

Terry Brown 22:02 26 Jul 07

I have an early version of XP (SP1), and I need to format and reload the system. For some reason the CD will not autoboot and the last time (on another machine), I used the 6 floppy disks (boot system)& the CD, however on this machine I have no floppy drive, and the system recovery CD I made does not work. I have tried creating the floppy boot system by copying the files from all 6 floppies to a CD,(no Good) and also by using by coping to a thumb drive, but that does not show as a boot device.
Help please
Terry

recap 22:10 26 Jul 07

I thhink you will need to go in to the BIOS and change the boot sequence?

Terry Brown 22:19 26 Jul 07

I have changed the boot sequence to boot from CD, however the CD autoboot is faulty, hence the need for floppy disks, and also as the machine is pre-loaded with a factory version (SP2), and my full version is SP1, I need to create a clean boot, which means using a set of floppy disks or equivalent.
Terry

skidzy 22:24 26 Jul 07

Is the system actually working at the moment Terry ?

If so try,building your boot disc click here

Are you sure its not the cd/dvd drive thats the problem ?

skidzy 22:26 26 Jul 07

Maybe the autoplay fix can help click here

Terry Brown 08:41 27 Jul 07

Skidzy

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately the system has completely crashed, I can get into the dos screen, and access the directory, but not windows, which is why I need to do a complete re-install.
Terry

skidzy 15:31 27 Jul 07

Terry do you have any more info please.

This may well be a hardware issue,do you have another cd drive to hand also check all the cables inside the tower.

I take it you have tried the bios boot order,making cd first boot device.

Will the system boot into windows at all,or is the pc dead ?

Pamy 15:45 27 Jul 07

can you put a floppy drive in from another machine or go to a computer fair and buy one for £3.

Terry Brown 16:37 28 Jul 07

Skidsy, the problem was,I think a trogan /virus that has corrupted my system, I know quite a bit about windows, but I need to re-install /repair it, but without a floppy drive, I cannot load boot files to re-enable the system.

Pamy
Unfortunately the system does not have a floppy drive (ide) slot, I am curreny looking for a USB floppy drive to borrow (if possible)
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…