Creaky dial-up connection speeds with USB modem

Rick_X 15:36 10 Jun 04

My parents have just got a brand new PC but don't use the internet enough to warrant BB so they use PAYG dial-up, however the connection speeds have been terrible, averaging 33K. Prior to getting this new PC I had BT up the gain on their phone line and, with their old PC, connection speeds were more in the range of 50K. They do use an extension lead from the main phone socket to the modem and I bought a new one to see if this was the problem. Unfortunately this didn't work, neither did changing ISP or reinstalling the modem drivers. I don't think REN is an issue either as they have 4 phone sockets in the house and only have 3 phones plugged in at any time and, as I said earlier, the connection speeds with the old modem and PC were good. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate them as this poor connection is making helping them with Remote Assistance nigh on impossible. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…