CRC errors- The Coarse

ACOLYTE 10:32 17 Jun 05

Can a dodgy CD player cause CRC errors?
On my second pc i was having CRC errors all the time when i tried to install somthing,i checked what i could,and eventually formatted and reinstalled,but im still getting CRC errors,on games and things i try to install and somtimes on downloaded software,the same things install ok
on the main PC so im trying to find a cause,and the CD player is kinda old 32x one.But it doesnt explain the downloaded ones having these errors im at a loss what they could be caused by.

gudgulf 10:56 17 Jun 05

The answer is yes, a dodgy cd reader can cause CRC errors.If the laser is weak or failing then it might not accurately retrieve information from a disc.If it can't read a particular piece of data from repeated attempts then that will throw up a CRC error.

Check that the ribbon cable is securely attached to the CD drive/Motherboard or try a different cable if you have any spare.It that doesn't help then a new CD/DVD drive is probably the best solution...they are not expensive.You could always put the working drive from the main pc in the one with problems and see if that works to be sure it is a faulty reader before you spend any money.

As for downloaded material,the cause of this would most likely be corruption of the data during transmission over the web or dodgy data at source.Other possibilities are problems with the hard drive.A good clear up with ccleaner click here ,an error check with CHKDSK or scandisc depending on your OS version and defragmentaion of the hard drive would not do any harm.

ACOLYTE 22:34 17 Jun 05

So why do the downloads work on my pc and not the other? if the data was corrupt it shouldnt work on any pc and i have ran chkdsk on both machines with no bad results,but i agree the cd needs changing and i am in process of getting another.Thx.

DieSse 22:56 17 Jun 05

CRC = Cyclic Redundancy Check is a check made on data transfers. The CRC character is calculated when data is sent from one place to another - then recalculated when it arrives - obviously the two values should match - if they don't then there is probably an error in the data.

CRCC is done all over the place, but it would be odd to get it from CD data transfers, and downloads, both on a single system, so we need to look for a common cause.

Thus, I think it may possibly be a memory error or a disk read error. Now most memory is not actually checked in this way, as the memory is more expensive (called ECC (Error Checking and Correcting) memory). But if you do have this - it might indicate a memory. fault. Check in the BIOS to see if ECC and/or memory parity checking is set. If it isn't then this s not the answer - if it is, you may have to be looking for a memory fault.

Athough the RAM is called ECC - it can only correct certain types of error - more severe errors may not be correctable.

For a much better data test of the disk drive, go to the manufacturers site and get their diagnostic program.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 18 Jun 05

Desensitize Your Computer's IDE Channels
There's a bit more to it. The following article offers a way to reduce the incidence of this problem, although it still doesn't solve it altogether.

IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur
click here

Do read this article because it contains a useful long-term workaround. But you have to go through the procedure described here to re-enable DMA first. Assuming you've done that, insert the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess registry values mentioned in this article into both the primary and the secondary IDE port registry keys as described.

Unfortunately this is only a half solution, because when you enter an unreadable DVD, you will get 6 errors in a row, and the IDE channel will revert to PIO mode, but at least when you pull out the DVD in time and then insert a good one, the error counter will be reset and it will at least be a bit more difficult for Windows to hobble your IDE drive.

Reactivate DMA
But this is not enough, because unfortunately Windows does not automatically activate DMA on a DVD or CD drive. You have to tell Windows to try to use DMA first.

For that, go to Device Manager again. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the secondary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and change the relevant setting from PIO only to DMA when available.

On Windows NT and 2000 you now have to reboot a second time, but Windows XP applies the change instantly. Then you can go to the same place in Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, all is well.

ACOLYTE 12:28 18 Jun 05

WOW! a lot to go through i will try my best to have a go at the things but im not really that good at programing stuff,i have xp sp2 on both machines,i looked at the article but cant tell whether this problem was fixed with sp2 or not,i will also check the Bios for the Ecc errors check thing,i know the ram is pretty old as well at least 4/5 years so that may have somthin to do with it,but i dont know if its the Ecc type ram.I just had a quick check and the cd is running in PIO mode but the DMA box is blanked out so i cant alter that.
Thx for the info/help thus far.

ACOLYTE 11:43 24 Jun 05

Sorry about the delay been away a few days,i have now got a new cd player nothing fancy just a standerd unit seems to be working ok,and have enabled DMA mode witch also seems to be holding,i havent tried the other stuff yet as i want to see what happens now i have another drive.Thx.

ACOLYTE 21:10 29 Jun 05

Seems the new cd player has sorted this little problem thx again for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…