CRC Error and Format

RLMTS 11:17 29 Aug 10

XP-Pro SP3

My G: Drive, which is a partition of HD1 started playing up this morning.

Yesterday I transferred around 300 jpgs from a holiday into a new folder in MyDocs (located on the G partition)

Today I started to 'weed out' the good from the bad, the first thing I noticed was that no matter which viewer/editor I used, some of the pics were only partially visible (eg, only top half) Yet in MyComputer, whilst browsing the folder the 'thumb nail' in bottom LH showed a full pic.

I decided I had better start copying the pics to another location (usb stick) I started to get a bit suspicious when some would not copy (CRC errors) It appeared to be getting worse, more and more not able to copy.

Decided to run Disk Check from G: Properties/tools/error checking, but it failed to complete. So started up my "Advanced System Optimiser 3" and checked from this. It wanted "exclusive access to drive" and requested it checks on a restart. So I rebooted.

Pre windows, the ASO3 was very busy scrolling text up the screen (DOS Style) mentioning errors and corrections etc.

Then when PC restarted, my G: drive showed no size info next ot it in MyComputer.

Properties "Used=0" "Avail=0"

A request also popped up at some stage saying that Drive G: is not Formatted, and did I want to Format it now!? (I clicked NO)

Is there any way I can possibly recover data from this drive? I had loads of work stuff on there too!

I had done some backups, but the last one was approx 4 months ago! Whoops! (I know, I know!)

Also, every action now takes ages (eg. opening other drives)

Any suggstions?

MAJ 11:30 29 Aug 10

Can you remove the drive and install it in another computer as a slave and backup the data to the new computer's drive or an external drive conected to that new computer? Or, put the problem drive into a USB drive enclosure and connect it to the other computer that way?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 29 Aug 10

Run Testdisk, tutorial and download link click here

RLMTS 22:49 31 Aug 10

Thanks MAJ, thanks FB,
FB, used Testdisk and recovered 99% of my data.
Then reformatted drive, but now I am low on trust!
Used a Western Digital diagnostics tool (DLGDIAG) and under "Quick Test" it FAILED (see below)
------------------------------------------
Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD3200JS-63PDB1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAPD3069488
Firmware Number: 21.00M22
Capacity: 320.07 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 65 (Error Log Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 22:46:18, August 31, 2010

So it's out with the old one and in with a new one me thinks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 01 Sep 10

Agree, better safe than sorry new drives are relatively cheap nowadays.

Glad you recovered your data.

RLMTS 21:14 01 Sep 10

Me too!
Thanks FB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…