Crashing on some games - possibly heat related?

Tazzmaverick 20:02 19 Jan 09

Hi,

I built my own computer about teo years ago to the following spec:

Intel Core II duo 6300 (1.86 Ghz) on an Asus P5B board; 2Gb RAM (some budget vendor from E-buyer); ATI Radeon X1950 Pro. Not sure what else you'd need.
I use a case with an in built fan and the PSSU has another fan.

Since building it I have never seen it work correctly. I built it so it could play on line games like Dungeons and Dragons at high spec, but it never could. Now, any game I get crashes a few minutes after starting, either the ATI Overdrive kicks in and resets the Graphics card, or the PC goes black and the sound freezes in a loop, and I have to power down and reboot to get it back.
I have noticed my CPU temp gets to over 60 C when a game is playing, I have no way of telling the temp of the graphics card. I have the fan set to best performance at thr cost of sound, but it doesn't seem to help. What can I do to find out exactly what is wrong, and hoe can I fix it? This PC should (as far as I can tell) be able to play most top end games with a high level of graphics, shouldn't it?

Tazzmaverick 20:05 19 Jan 09

I should add that it can play Football Manager 2009 for days on end, and seems to have no problem with FIFA 2009 or Pro Evo...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…