Crashing Problems. Playing Games

chezzy 17:39 17 Nov 04

Hi, I have a problem with my computer randomly crashing whilst playing some games (Call of Duty & Rome Total War) are two examples. It used to play Call of Duty fine before I replaced my hard drive and re-installed windows XP. A friend suggested that I might need to update the drivers for my motherboard (Micro Star International MS-6341) other details I have of the MB are Model AMD 761/VIA 686.System Bios 761-686B-6A656M49C-00. I have the latest driver fo my graphics card. Is he right will updating the MB drivers help If so were can I get the latest drivers and what number are they. If not can anyone help with any other suggestions I can try. Sorry about the long winded letter but I really need help.

Gongoozler 18:06 17 Nov 04

Hi chezzy. This is quite an old motherboard, and I can't find any drivers later than Windows 2000 click here. I think probably Windows XP itself installs the latest available drivers. I rather suspect your graphics drivers. Games can be very picky about graphics drivers and it's not uncommon for the latest drivers to give problems with some games. You may find the game makers have a patch for your games/graphics combinations, or you may find that reverting to an earlier graphics driver is better.

chezzy 18:20 17 Nov 04

Thanks for your quick reply Gongoozler. Do you have any idea why Call of Duty played OK before I fitted the new hard drive and then re-installed XP. Because I was using the same graphics card and updated grapic card drivers then, as I'm using now.

ACOLYTE 18:32 17 Nov 04

Prolly a dodgy install or patch update if you applied any.There is quite a good FAQ site on the activision site maybe your problem is on there,They solved mine when i had 1 with COD.

chezzy 18:35 17 Nov 04

No havn't installed any patches

ACOLYTE 18:43 17 Nov 04

What g card do you have?and does it start up then crash when u play or just crash straight away?

Smegs 18:44 17 Nov 04

How about your DirectX?? What version is it??

chezzy 22:00 17 Nov 04

Graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 2MX 100/200 (came with computer).Computer works fine until I try to play Call of Duty or Rome. Some other games play OK.Using DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

Smegs 23:51 17 Nov 04

There is DX9c out now.

Do you know what driver version it is??

ACOLYTE 01:32 18 Nov 04

The g card may be overheating when playing with settings to high,its an old card and not Dx9 compatable might not be able to withstand the pressure.

Gongoozler 10:00 18 Nov 04

If you think the graphics card is overheating, then this case fan can blow over it click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…