Crashing in games

Neo_0147 19:07 20 May 03

Hey,

Whenever I play a game my system crashes. Having played command and conquer for about an hour sometimes longer, sometimes shorter I get blue screen error messages. The first one said it was nv4_disp.dll which is graphics card driver so I updated using nvidia's detonator drivers but now I just get blue screens with no indication to what it is. The same happens when I am playing on medal of honour: spearhead perhaps after playing for half an hour on single player mode it might crash with a blue screen error message.

My spec is a AMD Athlon 2200+ with a geforce 4 ti4600 Chaintech 128mb graphics card. 256mb DDR 333 memory.

Any ideas

Pilch.... 19:27 20 May 03

depends on the operating system.

also what version of the detonators did you install?

Also what C&C game was it?

hugh-265156 19:33 20 May 03

heat issue maybe? does it happen in windows?have you overclocked the graphics card by any chance?

try this little tool to remove all traces of the old drivers click here and reinstall them again with the latest ones from click here

hugh-265156 19:38 20 May 03

click here click here click here a few of the many

Neo_0147 22:02 20 May 03

its windows xp, now i havent overclocked anything, i dont think its a heat issue as my cpu temp runs at 31C and it doesnt crash in windows

Neo_0147 22:03 20 May 03

command and conquer: generals is the version of the game

kane_2002k 22:40 20 May 03

could be worth checking into with your spec, you should be looking at 360 watt and above. If possible use a different power supply unit and see if it still ocurrs, the fact that you are able to play the games for about 45 minutes average seems to suggest that possibly it may not be the power supply - tend to find that you woudn't be able to play at all then. It could be your graphics card overheating. Take the side panel off your computer (aiming a room fan into the pc may help, but not too close!!!) and see if it stops. If it does then it is something overheating.

hugh-265156 22:48 20 May 03

click here and get the patch.

hugh-265156 22:52 20 May 03

from EA`s tech support

STABILITY ISSUES AND HEAT

Command & Conquer Generals taxes computer hardware, particularly CPU and system memory, very heavily. This will cause the hardware to dissipate a lot of heat. If your system cooling is inadequate, it will cause the system to become unstable, and possibly crash. This issue will manifest itself in the form of a "Serious Error" message, and/or a blue screen crash.

handful 10:07 21 May 03

what virus checker are you running? I have a similar spec and was getting a similar problem with games crashing. I eventually tracked it down to PcCillin (Trend). Have now switched to AVG and have very few problems now. (I used to get crashes with PcCillin disabled prior to playing)

BLH 12:55 21 May 03

Have you got EAX checked under sound config. if you have try unchecking it. I have a similar spec. to you and it worked for me. it's worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…