Crashing

diesel1948 14:53 13 Feb 04

Would like some advice please. I have a 1.9 80 gig hd 512 ddr all about 18 mths old. When I boot up or sometimes when I am just doing something, I get a blue screen saying things like an exception OE has occurred at 0028: C003/238 Iin VxD---. This was called from 0028: C02C2384 in VxD. It may be possible to continue normally. Press any key to continue to continue, did this and screen goes black and have to switch off with switch. Sometimes it just crashes and starts scanning the disc itself. Another, a fatal exception has occurred at 0028: C0014EDO current application will be terminated. Other numbers that appeared when it crashed 0028: C192EF75 IN VxD VTDI (01) + 00000185. It seems to be happening more and more often anyone any ideas what is wrong. Sometimes when it goes right I just leave it on when I have finished using it and it seems to run OK. Any advice gretely appreciated. Terry.

MichelleC 15:00 13 Feb 04

If it's hardware issue maybe ram needs reseating, or fan gone, or psu. If it's software, assuming you're xp or w2k; command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note space), or repair os.

scooby43 15:25 13 Feb 04

have you had a look at microsofts error codes

JIM 15:49 13 Feb 04

To troubleshoot VXD Errors can be a bit of a time consuming pain in the butt,and you still may not sort it out.18 months is a long time if no major surgery has been carried out:)

Try disconnecting any items connected to your system,printers /scanners/anything,and poss uninstalling the software and drivers.

If you still have the problems you may be better taking the suggestion of a repair to you Win OS.
Appears that you may have win98? You may get away with an over the top install but your the one who knows what's in your system and how it has been maintained.

------------------------------------------------
click here

The following link will give ways of checking for the poss vxd errors but as said the time taken may not be worth the hassel.

click here;en-us;q149962

One of the glues to your problem may stem from the Vtdi.386 file which may be in a folder other than the Windows\System folder.

RESOLUTION via MS.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.

In the Named box, type "vtdi.386" (without quotation marks), and then click Find Now.

In the list of found files, right-click a Vtdi.386 file that is not in the Windows\System folder, and then click Rename.

Type a new name for the Vtdi.386 file (such as Vtdi.xxx), and then press ENTER.

Repeat steps 3-4 for each Vtdi.386 file that is not in the Windows\System folder.

Quit the Find tool, and then restart your computer.

JIM 15:51 13 Feb 04

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q149962

close up the space,copy and paste.

diesel1948 17:54 13 Feb 04

Jim, When I type Vtdi 386 in find, thats the only thing that comes up and it appears to be in the Win systems folder. Should there be more than one coming up? How simple is it to reinstall Windows 98SE (yes you got it right) and would everything else need reinstalling if I took this action? Your suggestion uninstall printer scanner I have a HPpsc 2210 all-in-one but its been on for about 4 months and this problem seems to have started in the last month. Thanks for advice. Tel.

diesel1948 17:59 13 Feb 04

Michelle: I will try reseating the ram. I am running Windows 98SE, is there a simple way to check the other things you mention, fan, psu? And is there a method in Windows 98SE to repair OS? Thank you. Tel.

diesel1948 18:01 13 Feb 04

Thanks Scooby, looks a daunting task going through those errors. Cheers mate, Tel.

JIM 18:59 13 Feb 04

if only the 1 Vtdi 386 and it is in Win systems folder thats is ok.

The reinstall of the win98se OS doing an over the top install would not cause any problems normally, and all your programs would or should be left intact.(straight-forward ) but other checks to try poss first.

Your HPpsc 2210 all-in-one should as you point out after 4 months not be a problem unless there has been some corruption (but that can apply to win98 also)

Take it that you have not added any other"software or hardware" since the HPpsc all-in-one install in the last month? No errors showing in device manager.

TRY a SFC check from the run command and see what it may or not bring up. Have your win98cd ready in case it requires any files from it.
Post back after SFC Check let us know and if unsure ie what i am on about Tel. :)

diesel1948 23:56 13 Feb 04

Tried what you said Jim and it found a corrupt dll file (I think that was what it said) it asked for Windows cd and I think it fixed it. I will let you know over weekend if there are any more problems. Cheers mate, that is handy to know that check. Tel.

diesel1948 12:52 15 Feb 04

Hi Jim, Regret to say crashed again twice. Came up wth Fatal exception OD at 17AF: 0000119E. The Current ap will be terminated. Press any key to continue or Ctrl+Alt+Del to retart. Pressed a key and it went into an exception 06 has occured at 0028:C1896A64 in VxD SDVXD(07) + C1882394. This was called from 0028:C0059987 in VxD SDVX (03) +00040F73 may be possible to continue normally press any key. Did this and black screen says Windows protection error you need to restart your computer. Had to switch off on button then start it and it did so normally, (Did not scan). A bit of beeping during start updesktop shows then screen goes black then desktop appears again. Sorry to be a bore with this lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…