Crashing

Sics 11:52 29 Dec 03

I'm having problems with my PC either failing to start up or freezing during sessions.
I was wondering if it could be caused by any of the many programmes running in the background.

How do I go about preventing them from starting?

I'm not sure what all them do, so which ones can I safely disable, I list the unknown ones below:-

Speedkey, Mpbtn, Avconsol, Loadqm, Mediadat, Rulaunch, Mediaman, Stimon, Conwiz, Vsstat, Winnet, Dslagent, Ctnotify, Gsicon, Mdm, Rnaapp.

My PC is a Mesh Matrix with a 1GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 2MX video card running Windows 98SE

Any advice would be appreciated
Simon

johnnyrocker 11:54 29 Dec 03

do you have any anti spyware on board?

johnny.

canard 13:25 29 Dec 03

start-run-type msconfig and uncheck Loadqm from start up list. Using processview por control alt delete check if loadqm is still running after a restart. If so use processview to kill it and move it. Then if your OS is none the worse delete loadqm.exe. Quote re load QM- "The MSN Queue Manager Loader is installed with MSN Explorer and MSN Messenger. It can somtimes use a lot of system resources". U need stimon and rnaap but check the other entries against click here

canard 13:35 29 Dec 03

's changed. Try this click here

Sics 10:00 02 Jan 04

Johny
I don't have any spy-ware.

Canard
Thanks for your suggestions.
It does appear to be more stable when it manages to boot successfully, but it often gives me the "blue screen of death" at start up, giving the following messages:-

Windows
The volume that was removed had open files on it. Next time please check first to see if volume can really be removed.

Windows
A fatal exception OE has occurred @ 0167:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated.....

Then I get a series of screens with a close button alternating back to the 0167:BFF9DFFF OE that display:
OSA9, Explorer, VSSTAT, Explorer, VSSTAT, Explorer, AVCONSOL, MSTASK, MSTASK, VSSTAT, MCAGENT, REALEVENT,WINNET, VSSTAT, VSSTAT, REALEVENT, VSSTAT, VSSTAT, VSSTAT, VSSTAT, .....

After using Ctrl+Alt+Del the PC starts & operates with no problems.

What can I do?

wee eddie 14:34 02 Jan 04

Googled it!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…