Crashes when I plug in Ethernet or some USB device

Richiec19 10:37 12 Jul 06

Somebody help me please.....
have read all the topics but can't work it out.

Anyway I'm running windows Xp Sp2, have had a new mobo fitted, SATA K7VT4A Pro, and it has 6 USB's and 1 Ethernet, all connected directly to mobo.
Prior to the new mobo I was using a USB Modem for broadband, it was fine, once new mobo fitted it didn't work (crashed the comp).
I was advised to try a router connected via Ethernet which i did and it worked ok.
After a good few months it has now started freezing or crashing when i switch on the router. It also crashes if a plug in certain USB devices. (512mb memory stick)
I have now bought and installed a PCI ethernet adaptor which seems to work. Well it doesn't freeze anyway, not connected to internet yet tho.
Obviously I would like to fix the other Ethernet and USB problems and I can't understand it as they are installed correctly and alot of devices work fine on the USB (Printer, camera, etc)

Any help is much appreciated..

johnnyrocker 11:05 12 Jul 06

do you have any question marks or warning signs in device manager.

johnny.

Richiec19 11:11 12 Jul 06

Johnny,
only 1 warning mark but it's not related to the ethernet or USB, can't remember what it is, I'll have another look at lunch and let you know. cheers

Richiec19 14:05 12 Jul 06

Johnny,

I've checked it and I have a Question mark and Exclam Mark against "PCI Simple communication controller" and in the details for it, it says driver not installed (code 28).
I don't think this is the problem tho as this is plugged into a PCI slot?

I have also just unistalled all the USB's and the Ethernet and rebooted. before I did this I checked them using a 128mb Memory stick which draws 100 mA power and it froze on a few of the USB's (not all of them), after uninstalling them and rebooting it now freezes on different USB slots using the same memory stick.???

Another strange one was after I uninstalled all the USB's and before I rebooted I tried the 128mb and it didn't do anything, no supprises, but when i tried the 512 Memory stick it crashed it again???? how can this be when i'd uninstalled the USB's?????

Confused!!!

Richiec19 09:45 13 Jul 06

help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…