Crashed computer

puma0377 12:48 23 Sep 04

My computer went dead about a week ago, it was slowing down so i did a disk clean-up. next day all i got was an error message about windows not being able to start up ......may have been power cut.. there were 4 options safe mode, normal start up, etc but no matter what i did it went back to that screen. finally got a blue start-up screen, but i couldnt repair the hard disk, and had to format hard drive. got xp working again, tried the xp update disc now all i get is the microsoft xp screen but it wont load anything and the computer screen is blank. is there anything i can do myself or will i have to call out a professional? Any ideas on what could have caused the crash? I'm not techical so in layman terms please if anyone can help. Thanx

Mark8882 13:21 23 Sep 04

Is the XP CD a full copy or is it an upgrade?

keith-236785 15:25 23 Sep 04

how exactly did you format the hard drive, was it with the winxp cd or some other utility disk?

it might be possible that the disk is formatted in a format other than windows can recognise.

medicine hat 16:23 23 Sep 04

Did you do a full reformat of the hard drive or only a quick format? If the latter I would try installing again but with a full format this time. Good luck.

puma0377 23:48 27 Sep 04

i managed to got copy of full xp disk, and format hard drive but computer still running slow. cant get it to stay on uk settings on keyboard etc. did full virus scan, defrag, installed avg as norton is constantly switching off autoprotect, but dont know why its still not 100% would like to use xp sp2 disk but this may make it crash as it did last time. try to backup comp but backup only recognises A: drive. 8 disks later still hasnt finished backing up comp. burned most of c drive to cd rom using roxio, will this be ok if comp crashes again and need to reinstall everything?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…