Crash on printing from Explorer or Outlook Exp

Jonah(without the whale) 11:46 20 Feb 05

Help please.
On my new machine running Windows XP(SP2),if I print any web page or a mail in Outlook express the system crashes and retarts. The error reporting to M'soft advised a new driver for the Nvidia Geforce FX5200 was needed, so I downloaded version 6.6.3.1.from Nvidia which appeared to be the most recent. And still the crash. I had first deleted the old driver and disabled antivirus for the download to happen - what else can I do? My printer - HP PCS1315.
I've spent too much time on this already - any help would be valued.
Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 11:54 20 Feb 05

HAve you tried the system file checker:

start

run

sfc /scannow

Or a repair of IE: click here

Neither guaranteed to work, but may well help.

Jonah(without the whale) 12:24 20 Feb 05

I haven't tried the checker - good idea I'll have a go, and I don't know how to repair IE - ideas please.

Meantime, I have just bee wresteling with the printer that gave up and chasjed on the third page from a Word document.
Message produced all along is:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DRIVER (Q293078)

When I look in Q293078 it tells me to do what I have already done!

AAaaaaaaaaaargh

Diodorus Siculus 13:54 20 Feb 05

Word: try detect and repair if you have office 2000 or later.

Repairing IE - in the link I posted.

Jonah(without the whale) 17:19 20 Feb 05

Thnks for your suggestions. I've tries sfc/scannow and nothing was available - i.e. I entered sfc/scannow and even just sfc,and I got nothing. However,I'll try the link.

I'm runnning XP an all IE and OE came with it.

This may take a day or too now.

Cheers

VoG II 17:22 20 Feb 05

Note: space before /

sfc /scannow

Jonah(without the whale) 14:33 21 Feb 05

I've done a bit more checking and vendor of my PC reckons that they've never heard of this problem with Display Adapter NVidia GeForce FX5200. However they recommend I download latest driver - I thought I had done this (took just over an hour when a driver should take seconds aparrently) and it seems that I downloaded nothing (from the Nvidia site). Can anyone tell me which driver from which site? The NVidia site is very confusing. Vendor has also suggested using the Update driver facility on the hardware tab - had anyone any hints?

Jonah(without the whale) 09:09 22 Feb 05

Last night I attempted to download the latest driver from Nvidia, but it was going to take so long (2 hours plus) I had to kill the job. I have left my home machine running, doing the job this morning. I did, however, try the system file checker, as suggested - unfortunately, no luck, the printing problem persisted. I have spoken to the peole who sold me my new machine and they reckon it should take a few minutes to downlaod the driver! The question in my mind is, what if the nw driver dos not help? Surely my printer (a new PCS1315) should run? Oh well, I'll report back tonight when the driver is loaded, if I can install it!

Jonah(without the whale) 20:59 22 Feb 05

with the help of another PCADVISOR person (MCBain) I followed his/her instructions and downloaded the driver from Nvidia (took 2 hours) and loaded it tonight - the printer problem seems to have gione away. Thanks all round for your help folks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…