CRASH! CRASH! CRASH

Tina19721 23:16 26 Jan 06

My e machines laptop keeps crashing on me. Tonight it must have gone on me at least a dozen times before it finally settled down so that I could try and do something. Error reports to Microsoft say that a device driver is the cause but that is all it will tell me. Installed Register Mechanic 4.0 in the hope that it would find something wrong. It found almost 200 errors which it then repaired. Ran it again and it found nothing wrong so I think the disease has been cured. WRONG. It crashed on me again and the fun has started all over again. As Soon as I log on it will be alright for a minute or so before it goes on me. Sometimes it will go as soon as I log on. I am wondering if I should un-install the programs that I put on it one by one to see if, by a way of elimination that would sort this matter out. I havent called e machines support yet but that will be my next option

rupie 23:41 26 Jan 06

as a laptop I assume you have not added any hardware. Ifd you have then disconnect and u ninstall. if it crashed from when you got it then call support, otherwise you need to remember what you did prior to the first time this problem occored - did you install something ? reg mecanic is good at highlighting things wrong- not the cause. let me know if it happens during sertain programs or actions

boaviagem 23:42 26 Jan 06

strange because i have exactly the same problem and boughtthe same registry mechanic program with similar results and still the pc (targa visionary 3200, running windows xp home edition) crashes at irregular and unplottable intervals!

Skyver 23:48 26 Jan 06

Tried System Restore back to a point where the machine works normally? Does it happen if you boot in safe mode (press F8 a few times before the XP logo appears during booting)?

Forum Editor 23:50 26 Jan 06

the computer was working Ok until this started happening? If that's the case, the cause is certainly likely to be a software conflict, and you can resolve it.

Roll the computer back to a steady state, using the Windows XP restore facility.

Then, once you're happy that things have settled down, install your software applications one at a time. When you install a program, let things run for a few days before you install anything else, and create a new restore point before each installation (if Win XP hasn't done so already). Name the restore points with the name of the program that you previously installed, so you know where to roll back to in case of trouble.

This method takes longer, but it's pretty well bomb-proof, and you'll spot the culprit immediately.

boaviagem 00:05 27 Jan 06

hey, thanks for such prompt replies! will do what you suggest when i switch on tomorrow...have real hope now of a resolution to the problem!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…