Crash to blank screen in some DirectX games

Mr Mistoffelees 18:11 01 Dec 05

I sent the following to the manufacturer of my new graphics card. Perhaps someone here has come accross this problem and solved it. I live in hope!

I have been experiencing problems with DirectX games crashing to a blank screen, the pc then needing to be reset to recover. This has been happening since completing a major upgrade three days ago. Graphically demanding OpenGL screensavers seem to be unaffected as do some DirectX games. Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 crashes when I get to the start of a stage and Kyodai Mahjong crashes after 3 to 5 minutes, everytime it is run. Games that do work will do so for long periods without any problem as will the screensavers so it seems very unlikely heat is a problem. This is born out by the cpu running at around 38-40C under full load.

System is as follows:-

Motherboard, MSI K8N Neo4 F
CPU, AMD Athlon64 4000+
Ram, Crucial DDR400 2GB (4x512MB)
Graphics, Radeon X800XL 256MB cgax-xl86vdd
Sound, Creative Sound Blaster Live
Power supply, Jeantech Arctic 600W
Windows XP Home SP2
DirectX 9.0c
ATI Catalyst 5.11

Mr Mistoffelees 19:46 01 Dec 05

!

mattyc_92 19:52 01 Dec 05

My friend was also complaining about this sort of error with "GTA San Andreas" today.
He also has a "Radeon" Graphics Card..... Just a theory (a long one at that), but maybe a "dodgy" batch?

gudgulf 21:19 01 Dec 05

When you say major upgrade.......what exactly have you done?

It might have some bearing on your problem.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:47 01 Dec 05

"When you say major upgrade.......what exactly have you done?"

Quite a lot actually, of that I have listed above only the sound card and half the ram are original, as all the drives. In all other respects it works very well, it's certainly fast.

gudgulf 22:13 01 Dec 05

OK.....there is a lot of scope for problems that are not related to the graphics card.If it works with some DirectX games but not others and is ok with OpenGL then it doesn't sound like a graphics card problem.

Are all the games fresh installs too...they might need some settings tweaking or patching.

For a start is Windows a clean install (or at least a repair install) to allow for the new motherboard.

If not there may be a conflict of old and new motherboard drivers.

The new RAM modules might be causing problems...try with just the old modules.Some memory controllers can struggle with all the memory slots full too....try reducing the Cas latency down a notch in the BIOS.

SoundBlaster cards can cause conflicts in some games.Try locating the soundcard in a different PCI slot....or switching to the onboard sound temporarily.

Have you done any web searches to see if there are any known issues with the games and set ups similar to your new configuration? Who knows,there might be lots of people out there with the same problem.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:50 03 Dec 05

A bit slow coming back but been busy with work, going to college and trying to sort this out.

Windows was a fresh install but I have done it again. All drivers are the latest from manufacturer websites. I have tried reducing to 1GB of ram, both the old and the new, and set the CAS latency to 3, the bios set it to 2.5, Crucial say 3. The soundcard is not new and I have never had any issues with it in any games before, except sound problems likely to be attributable to using it with a VIA chipset. I havn't tried any game which was not ok before the upgrade.

Devil Fish 13:05 03 Dec 05

it may be worth checking the website for the games that are causing problems any known issues and patches if needed

gudgulf 13:25 03 Dec 05

Have you run DxDiag to check for any directx errors?

JUsy type dxdiag into the Run box in the Start menu and look through all the tabs.....there is a box at the bottom of each that will identify any errors.

You will also find some Direct Draw and Direct 3D test that you should run.

In the meantime I'll check for known issues on the web.

Mr Mistoffelees 13:51 03 Dec 05

Been there, done that!

Mr Mistoffelees 21:46 05 Dec 05

Further to the above.

I have been corresponding with a representative of the graphics card manufacturer in the Netherlands. Following the failure of his suggestions I have been told to take it back to the retailer for refund or replacement.

This means I am now using an old standby card. An nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB which is hopeless, but at least it keeps the pc going untill I get my refund and then buy a new card.

BTW, has anyone tried an nVidia Geforce 6800 GS? Just about comes in on budget.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…