crackly/poor quality music

01chris 16:51 01 Apr 05

I have recentley upgraded a not-so-high spec win98 pc to xp pro. Loading times are a bit slow but apart from that everything else is fine. When I try to play music on it (from the hard disc) it is very crackly and distorted, it is not the speakers because I swapped them with another set and still got the same problem. After I upgraded it there were no drivers for the sound card at all so it wouldnt let me play anything ,so I downloaded some and installed them. It is a Cmedia CMI8330/C3D card that is built into the motherboard. Does anyone know how i can fix this problem?

griffon 56 17:04 01 Apr 05

Hi 01chris,

I know that you've downloaded a new driver for the card but I seem to recall reading that Cmedia cards don't work well with XP. I use one in my Win98SE system and sometimes it, too, gets a bit crackly right at the end of the Microsoft startup sound. If you're not looking for leading edge sound why not buy one of the cheap Soundblaster or Trust cards, and there are others that won't break the bank. Best of luck.

Indigo 1 17:06 01 Apr 05

Could be a bad driver installation.

Try uninstalling it then click here and check for a different one.

griffon 56 17:10 01 Apr 05

Hi again,
I've just thought, it might be your not so high spec machine. XP gives it a lot more to do than Win98 and the processor might not be coping with the additional high data flow required for music reproduction. You might also need more RAM for the same reason.

01chris 17:25 01 Apr 05

thanks guys/guyesses (girls) i will try your ideas

01chris 17:25 01 Apr 05

thanks guys/guyesses (girls) i will try your ideas

01chris 18:03 01 Apr 05

thanks for your suggestions i am pretty sure that it is because the machine is "not-so-high-spec". when i turned the wmp visulisations off it played a bit better but it was still bad. do you think more ram would do the trick or would it need more? (64mb ram 333mhz processor)

Indigo 1 18:22 02 Apr 05

Yes more RAM would help.

XP req at least 128Mb, 256Mb is better but I personally would not use less than 512Mb (I currently have 1024Mb installed but that may be over the top for most people).

I am surprised it runs at all with only 64Mb.

Indigo 1 18:25 02 Apr 05

You might still be better off installing a cheap soundcard too. click here

Indigo 1 18:25 02 Apr 05

You might still be better off installing a cheap soundcard too. click here

01chris 21:56 02 Apr 05

I have been playing around and found that if i play a cd straight from the disc drive instead of using wmp I can get round this problem.

If I was to install a dvd drive would I be able to get the sound from the movie straight from the drive (same as I do for a cd) and have the picture on screen. Thus not getting the poor quality through the main PC sound card.

I hope that makes some sense!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…