Crackly speakers

Cluelessone 11:09 15 Oct 08

Your assistance please folks...

Dell 5150 with DELL A525 ZYLUX speakers..
(2 freestanding and a sub-woofer)

When I try to adjust the master volume on the small speaker dial , I get a loud crackle.

Also the volume changes to an extremely loud level by just touching the dial. It goes quiet again when I release the dial, but it is impossible to achieve the right volume.

When you had this snag with an analogue radio you simply opened it up and cleaned the dust off the rheostat....I cant get the back off though. Do Dell "seal" their speakers to prevent "tampering?"

Any clues out there anyone?

Covergirl 12:19 15 Oct 08

. . . a potientiometer inside the housing - essentially the same functionality as a rheostat.

You'll have to find way in there and hopefully find a chink in the pot. that you can spray some elecrical cleaner/lubricant through which should clear the problem.

I read some really good instructions on how to get into something if it "snapped" together as most modern plastic casings are these days, along the lines of "prise and pull until something gives slightly and you can tell where the snap fasteners are, then ease it apart" etc but obviously this method might be prone to failure.

Considering that you say " . .the volume changes to an extremely loud level by just touching the dial. . . . impossible to achieve the right volume . . " you may be better to seek a replacement from Dell if you're still within warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…