Crackling/interference from Creative lab speakers

Tonycooper3 18:24 21 Aug 05

I have a set of 5800 Creative Lab speakers which make a continous buzzing sound and theres a squealing that changes pitch when I move the mouse or click on something. The connections are fine -

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this would be much appreciated.

Gongoozler 18:28 21 Aug 05

Hi Tonycooper3. From my experience, I would guess that your sound card is integrated into the motherboard. If I'm correct, then even a cheap PCI sound card would give a significant improvement.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:41 21 Aug 05

Unshielded device near speakers.

Have you got something next to the speakers that has a transformer in it something like a desk lamp / fan for instance.

Also some monitors can cause this problem if speakers too close.

Totally-braindead 19:34 21 Aug 05

I had this and it was due to the onboard sound drivers, updating the drivers did make it a bit better but the cure was as Gongoozler has suggested a dedicated sound card, although I wouldn't buy a really cheap one, for about £15 you can get a budget Creative Labs one.

Tonycooper3 21:33 21 Aug 05

Thanks for the help -

I don't have an unshielded device nearby and moving the speakers away from the monitor seems to make no difference, so I don't think it's that.

I do only have onboard sound and guess it's time to invest in a cheap PCI sound card.

Cheers,

Gongoozler 10:06 23 Aug 05

Hi Tonycooper3. I'm sure the new sound card will solve the problem which is caused by signals on the motherboard getting into the tracks of the sound circuits. Don't forget to disable the onboard sound in BIOS before you install the PCOI card.

Gongoozler 10:09 23 Aug 05

Sorry - PCOI = PCI.

Tonycooper3 20:52 23 Aug 05

Thanks for the tip Gong - I'll do that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…