Crackling on sound when playing music or games

TommyRed 10:51 19 Sep 03

It's been like this intermittently for the last few weeks, I'd put it into a shop to have modem and sound drivers sorted after a re-install. I know I should take it back but they had it for 3 day's. I'd be having withdrawl symptoms. Does the driver want updating perhaps?, it's listed as a 'SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio' by Analog Devices Inc in device manager. My OS is 98SE. Thanks TR

Sion 11:04 19 Sep 03

If it wasn't Crackling a few weeks ago then somthing has changed in your system. Perhaps you have installed a program, or piece of hardware that is conflicting with the sound card. Or, your speakers are finally begining to die on you, or your sound card is dying on you. Could be anything. Work through this checklist for trial and error.

1. Check all connections at the back. Make sure there are no loose connections.

2. Try a different set of speakers on there to see how they work. If you can, hook up ya hi-fi speakers to it. Through the stereo unit of course.

TommyRed 12:04 19 Sep 03

No, it was like this a few weeks ago, but my son was so pleased to get it back he said he can live with it, it's me that can't. When I took it to the shop to have the modem and sound drivers installed they said it was due to windows 98 not being re-installed correctly, I had it done by a friend as I've no disks with this PC. So they had to do it again, never charged me, but had the PC for 3 days. It was like having my good leg cut off. So I'm reluctant to take it back, especially if I can sort it out myself. TR

TommyRed 17:41 19 Sep 03

bump

TommyRed 18:37 19 Sep 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…