crackling noise from pc

kumarisblue 13:58 22 May 06

can anyone suggest what may be the problem with my pc....it makes a strage crackling noise intermittently. I have checked cables etc..they seem to be ok. Any ideas?

moorie 14:28 22 May 06

hi it happened to me a couple of months ago,sounded like a static sort of noise then a couple of weeks later a loud crack and computer died,it turned out to be the power supply.on fitting the new supply the crackling disappeared not sure if this will be the same in your case but thought i would share it anyway.

rmcqua 14:38 22 May 06

Crackling noises are often the sign of (initially) intermittent breakdown within components in the PSU. Be especially suspicious of this if the noises are accompanied by a chemical/burning/ozone smell.
I would suggest that, given the cost of a new PSU, it is almost worth replacing the existing PSU before it fails catastrophically and maybe takes more expensive components with it!

Pamy 14:55 22 May 06

It's not the read/write arm of the hard drive by any chance. The hard drive makes a little crackling noise occationaly as it makes checks even when you are not doing anything.

Pamy

Gongoozler 14:56 22 May 06

Do the crackling noises coincide with any computer activity such as moving the mouse or are they random? Mouse movement can cause crackling noises if there is poor isolation between circuits on the motherboard, whereas random crackling can, as suggested by moorie and rmcqua, be caused by component failure.

kumarisblue 15:16 22 May 06

Thanks guys....will investigate these issues and get back to you with results!

Stuartli 16:13 22 May 06

The HDD activity you mention is normally some defragging when the CPU is idle - it shouldn't make crackling noises.

Another possible cause of crackling can be due to some earlier Via chipset motherboards on the sound side and this can occur in several instances (as Gongoozler notes), including scrolling down web pages.

Pamy 16:19 22 May 06

Stuartli, my HDD makes what I would call a crackling noise from time to time, like you say when defraging, but it also occurs from time to time when not defraging.

Pamy

Gongoozler 16:36 22 May 06

The HDD will make what could be called "crackling" noises due to the head moving as Windows does some file sorting in the background, but I think the noise kumarisblue is experiencing is coming from the speakers - although I could be wrong.

Pamy 16:46 22 May 06

So Kumarisblue, where does the crackling come from , speakers or tower/desktop?

Pamy

kumarisblue 08:33 23 May 06

Hi Guys...there are no speakers attached to pc..it is an internal crackling noise

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…