CPU/Chipset/Motherboard drivers?

giggsy 21:24 26 Feb 06

Hi everyone.
I've just recently installed windows xp pro after using 98se for a long time and previously i downloaded the drivers mentioned in the title and installed them. Is it worth doing so again, or should I let xp use it's own. To be honest, I don't know the difference between the drivers as they are all in the same area of the pc, aren't they?

ade.h 21:28 26 Feb 06

XP will be perfectly happy using the Microsoft certified drivers, as they are - AFAIK - essentially certified versions of the originals anyway, but as such, they are not necessarily up-to-date.

I tend to install the mobo manufacturer's own drivers (even for 3rd-party chipsets, you should go with what the mobo manufacturer provides on its site) as per the order laid out in the manual.

phono 21:35 26 Feb 06

If you use your computer for gaming you will most likely be better off with the Chipset supplier's drivers, especially if it is a VIA chipset.

I know from my own experience that my video display performance was rubbish with the stock XP drivers, installing the VIA Hyperion drivers improved the performance dramatically.

giggsy 21:38 26 Feb 06

Thanks for the quick response guys.
ade.h - what do you mean by the order of the drivers laid out in the manual?
Phono - it is a VIA chipset, KT133A I think (pc is getting on a bit now!)
Guess I can always create a restore point and try them out!

phono 21:45 26 Feb 06

As ade'h says, your mobo manufacturer may well have a suggestion as to which drivers should be loaded and in which order, it can make a big difference as to how video and audio perform, as well as getting optimum DMA access to hard drives etc.

Stuartli 22:11 26 Feb 06

Useful information on the Via chipset 4-in-1 and Hyperion drivers at:

click here

I use to find that the 4.43 4-in-1 drivers were best for my previous Apollo Pro 133 board (you could go up to 4.56), but the latest ones are best for the KT600 board I have now.

You can install these drivers direct after downloading them and then rebooting - however the XP Via drivers are usually perfectly satisfactory with older chipsets.

Most mobo manufacturers who use Via chipsets normally direct you to the official click here website for the latest drivers or, alternatively, provide the same drivers.

ade.h 22:12 26 Feb 06

Some manufacturers - such as Gigabyte - use a program that runs from CD and examines your installation, installing the correct drivers in the correct order for you. Others - such as Abit - just give you instructions in the manual and the rest is up to you.

giggsy 23:54 26 Feb 06

Thanks guys, i'll have a look at my manual as well (if I can find it!) Cheers for the info phono, didn't know that.
You too ade.h. And cheers stuartli as well.
Keep up the good work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac