CPU Work Load

Roytonboy 09:53 01 Mar 07

Clicking CTL+ALT+DEL brings up Task Manager in XP and clicking performance shows a realtime graph of CPU useage, with no other programs apparently working my performance graph is showing peaks of 55% down to 2%. How do I find out which programme is using the CPU and thus slowing other programmes down, and can I de-activate these using the "processes" tab list?

Have a look at processes in task manager, in the CPU column you can see which process(s) is using your cpu resources. You will probably find its an anti-virus or anti-spyware application scanning in the background. This won't necessarly slow you machine down as programs you run will have higher priority.

Technotiger 10:15 01 Mar 07

Hi, 'no other programs apparently working'.. just moving your mouse cursor causes CPU movement from 0% to about 18%, look at how many Processes you have running (I have 55), there is always some activity in the 'background' so to speak. Auto updates, anti-virus monitoring, Firewall busy doing its job. Unless it becomes a real problem I would advise leaving well enough alone. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

i have used this in the past, just to check there was nothing nasty going on
click here
i dont use it anymore, if there is anything i dont recognise i google it, agree with technotiger, if it aint broken!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…