CPU Useage Always 100%

Big Trev 22:06 29 Jun 05

Whenever I open task manager the CPU useage sems to be always at 100%. I have a 1.16Gb processor and 768Meg RAM. I have a fair number of processes running in the background (52 at the moment)but I would have thought these wouldn't result is such high memory useage.

can anyone advise if this is normal?

Windows XP SP2.

Elyse 22:18 29 Jun 05

i would still shut down any extraneous programs that you have running in the background.

stalion 22:22 29 Jun 05

Also run these incase you have malaware in your system click here
click here
click here

VoG II 22:24 29 Jun 05

No it is not normal. Check for malware.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:27 29 Jun 05

52 is alot of programs to be running.

Scan for spyware using Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

any of these I recommend Msoftantispy

De Marcus 22:27 29 Jun 05

52 running processes is going to kill any machine, check what's running and bring the list down to a minimum, to give you an idea my machine is running with 27 processes at the moment.

woodchip 22:30 29 Jun 05

Could be anything, but best way first is remove all ticks from startup tab in MSCONFIG. do not go on the net like this. Then restore one item at a time until you find problem if it cleared it

Big Trev 22:31 29 Jun 05

I don't know what half of these things are! Many are related to Norton Internet Security and Virus Software and I don't want to switch them off.

De Marcus 22:34 29 Jun 05

Give us a list of the running processes, it'll help determine whether you've an infection or just too many programmes running

woodchip 22:35 29 Jun 05

As above remove all, you can write them down. Then reinstall one at a time but as you say you have NORTON internet security. Say no more as that just may be what is hogging you CPU

De Marcus 22:36 29 Jun 05

Norton can be greedy buggar :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…