CPU usage is running at 100% even when typing.

Cripco 22:57 21 Apr 03

My Hewlett Packard Pentium II running Windows NT4 has developed a few irritating problems. I realise that this is an old computer which should have been replaced or upgraded long ago however, because employers don’t want a paraplegic on their payroll, this is all I can afford.

1. Task Manager is showing CPU usage to be running at 100% even when typing in Word or clicking either mouse button. The CPU cooling fan also sounds laboured whenever the CPU usage reaches 100%.
2. I am getting an error message stating that my sound card driver is already running, whenever I look at the CD-Rom’s properties. Then all the icons, except for the clock, disappear from the Taskbar. Drwtsn32 reports (Application exception occurred) (App: exe\explorer.dbg) (pid=144) (Exception number: c0000005) (access violation)
3. Intermittently, I am left looking at a blue screen memory dump when using my SCSI scanner. For this one drwtsn32 will either report the same as above, or (Application exception occurred) (App: exe\iexplore.dbg) (pid=252) (Exception number: 80000003) (hardcoded breakpoint)

Any ideas anyone. I really would be very grateful if you could indeed help.
In advance, thanks for your time and attention.

hugh-265156 23:10 21 Apr 03

click here maybe some of the more knowlegable forum members can advise what the course of action is.

Murray 23:15 21 Apr 03

If your CPU fan sounds dodgy, replace it - or at least try a new one, you don't want that to fail, as it will burn out the CPU, and possibly the motherboard

Murray 23:17 21 Apr 03

What software are you running. It could be that windows is just getting bogged down with too much bloatware running in the background.

What is the speed of the CPU, how much RAM have you got and how much free disk space do you have?

hugh-265156 23:20 21 Apr 03

can you recall is any new software has been installed lately drivers etc?

hugh-265156 23:24 21 Apr 03

run this to rule out spyware as the cause click here

woodchip 23:30 21 Apr 03

Could several things although I am not familiar with NT Stop all unnecessary programs running in the background, can you free up some space on your hard drive this may by getting clogged up You may have a program that as leaky memory, if you reboot does it work a bit better if so I would be looking at Memory leak

woodchip 23:33 21 Apr 03

PS also what about Defrag, as I know NT does not have a Defrager download diskeeper

Murray 23:39 21 Apr 03

I'm not sure about NT4 - I guess it's similar to 2000, can you see which process is hogging all the resources - should be in task manager (right click taskbar) - processes tab - see which one is using all the CPU time (and RAM - might give an indication ot the problem)

WaTcHiNg 00:56 22 Apr 03

I have seen a few viruses which cause the 100% CPU symptom. Bring up task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Task Manager) and click the processes tab. The most recent virus I know of which is doing the rounds put processes in the list as ~2, ~3 etc etc and also put a svchost32.exe in the process list. These took 100% CPU.
Alternatively, when you bring up task manager, see what's taking the processor time.

Megatyte 01:59 22 Apr 03

NT4 was the fore-runner to WIN2000, basically a commercial OS(a lot of users upgraded to 2000 thinking it was the natural upgrade from 98 when, in fact, the transition from 98 was ME(which came out later), only to find that there was no support for the major graphics cards(gamers were pissed).

Micro$oft got it backwards. The transition from 98 should have been 2000 and from NT4 to ME.

That's my knock at MS out of the way. :-)

'The CPU cooling fan also sounds laboured whenever the CPU usage reaches 100%'

If the fan sounds normal otherwise, I would be inclined to think that it was OK.

With the symptoms that you have described I think that I would go for a clean install(now I wait for the flack)

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac