CPU Usage Hogged by system processes

A_J_C 20:10 28 Dec 05

I have a 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon 3500+ and every so often I get a system slowdown, and on looking at task manager, see that the processor is being hogged by winlogon.exe, lsass.exe, svchost.exe. I use AVG Anti virus and regularly scan for adware etc. I realise these are all system processes and can not be killed, but when the machine is doing nothing (apparently) they are still collectively using 100% of the CPU. Any ideas?

Tony275 21:18 28 Dec 05

You need to see what services are running that you don't need, blackviper would have been your best read,but I think the site's still down.

Try click here . Look under S Services Guide for Windows XP.

If not google for XP services not needed.

Tony.

Tony275 21:37 28 Dec 05

For anyone missing the blackviper site. click here*/click here

VoG II 21:49 28 Dec 05

You should also be aware that various malware programs use the names of legitimate Windows files but installed in a different folder.

Try running Ewido click here

When installing, under "Additional Options" untick..

Install background guard

Install scan via context menu

Launch ewido, by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.

The program will now open to the main screen.

You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click Update. Then click on Start Update.

Click on Scanner then Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. You will be prompted to clean the first infection. Select "Perform action on all infections", then proceed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now