CPU usage constantly at 100%???

hinchie Y2K III 11:05 13 Feb 04

Hi All,

When i am using the computer the CPU usage in Windows task manager shows at 100& constantly and i end up having to resatrt sometime as it freezes and does not respond for about 5 minutes.

My processor is pentium III
Mobo vectra Vl400
Ram 128mb

any help is appreciated

Gongoozler 11:12 13 Feb 04

There may be something that has been put on your computer that is taking up a lot of processing time. Try downloading and running AdAware from click here. Don't forget to check for updates before running it. The first time AdAware runs it will take quite a long time, and occasionally appear to stall. This is quite normal because it is doing a deep scan of your files.

hinchie Y2K III 11:19 13 Feb 04

Already done that

Not made a difference at all.

any other suggestions

Gongoozler 11:43 13 Feb 04

Have a look in your start-up list (in Windows 98 its accessed from Start - Run - msconfig - Startup). See what programs are loaded at startup and untick any that are not essential to Windows, then see if that helps.

mdshamilton 12:37 13 Feb 04

Add more RAM. 128Mb of RAM to run XP home? seems a bit low.

tenplus1 12:42 13 Feb 04

Do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on the SERVICES tab and see what is actually sapping your CPU... That should give some indication whats wrong...

Indigo 1 12:59 13 Feb 04

You would'nt be using Win ME by any chance ?

hinchie Y2K III 13:02 13 Feb 04

sorry for late reply been busy
I am on xp pro
I will look at services and i think i might put more ram in

let you all know

Al94 14:52 13 Feb 04

You definately need more RAM for runnin XP Pro satisfactorily. Go for 512MB.

hinchie Y2K III 15:00 13 Feb 04

problem solved.
Banged in 512mb ram
running satisfactorily

thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…