CPU usage

bturner 20:21 PM 15 Apr 12

I have a 1 year old Packard Bell desktop PC.

Right now I only have this webpage open and nothing else, CPU usage is low and fluctuating between 0% and 5%. The fan is on but very slow and quiet.

I trade Foreign exchange during the week and have 2 platforms open and during busy hours the CPU usage can be between 50% and 75% and the fan is on constantly. The fan gets faster and louder as the CPU usage rises.

I make sure I have no webpages or email accounts open to try to help things and use the laptop for that.

So the platforms are the only applications running, there are a lot of processes but they use 0 or 1% CPU. It is a Pentium dual core CPU.

Does the RAM or HD have anything to do with this? I don't think so. It has 3GB of RAM and uses about 40-50% of that at most.

I am just worried that the PC will overheat. I don't want to have to buy another PC but if this one cannot handle it what specification do I need to look for, higher RAM, bigger HD or a better CPU?

Nontek 21:16 PM 15 Apr 12

Neither RAM nor hard drive capacity will make any difference, but you don't say what size your CPU is, a more powerful one might make a difference.

However, have you made sure that the interior of the PCs case is clean and free from dust/fluff, a built of which can and usually does make a difference. Also make sure that fans and grills are clean and clear of dust and fluff, make sure too that the PC is not 'buried' under a desk or in an airless corner of a room/desk, the more space around, above and below the PC will help to keep it running cool.

bturner 08:58 AM 16 Apr 12

Thanks for the reply.

The only information I can find on the CPU is in "Start, control panel, system"

"Pentium (R) dual core E5800 @ 3.20 GHz 3.20 GHz".

Yes it is an all in one and on top of the desk, nothing above it, 2 foot from the wall, plenty of room all around it. It has done this from new, fan on all the time even with just 1 webpage open but it increases with CPU usage.

I have never taken the back off but the grills are completetly dust free.

Nontek 10:35 AM 16 Apr 12

CPU is a reasonable size, but you might be surprised if you take the back/side off to clean out dust etc!

bturner 21:43 PM 16 Apr 12

Maybe you are right, I just avioded doing that in case in invalidated any warranty.

It's one of these.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/GradeA2-PackardBellOneTwoLI8524UK23InchCorei3All-In-OnePC_A2-PW.U5KE2.081/version.asp?refsource=LDfroogle&gclid=CNPA07aduq8CFYsntAod402nhw

Nontek 22:17 PM 16 Apr 12

Your link did not work - what is the Model Number?

bturner 17:16 PM 17 Apr 12

Sorry, it is a Packard Bell Onetwo L5831

Nontek 19:10 PM 17 Apr 12

OK, so I don't understand what your problem is, though Google tells me this is a Notebook, not a Desktop?

Nontek 19:14 PM 17 Apr 12

Just read your initial Post again - so it is a Laptop. Only other recommendation I can make, is to make sure that you do not use it on your Lap, only on a level hard surface, and to perhaps get hold of a Laptop Cooler, although I don't think yours is running at a particularly high temp.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…