CPU Usage

Dartdesc 22:17 07 Dec 06

Hi I hope someone out there can help me. I have just built my second pc and I am having some problems. I am using a ECS 755-A2 mb with AMD2800+ cpu. I have 2 x 256mb ddr 400mhz ram and a 200gb sata300 7200rpm 8mb cache hd and running WinXP SP2. When I start the pc everything seems to run very slowly and on checking with task manager I find that my cpu is running at 100% for extended periods and only when it drops down will any of my applications start up. When checking the processes I have noticed that one of them (svchost) runs at 98 cpu. I have run various virus checks and spyware utilities and nothing is detected.
Any advice please.

crosstrainer 22:45 07 Dec 06

hi svchost is a required windows sstem component and multilpe instances can run at the same time.... the first thing to look at is what runs at startup... to do this start the pc.. click on programs startup.. and post back with what is there.

Dartdesc 11:19 08 Dec 06

Thanks for the reply. Adobe Reader Speed Launch & WinZip Quick Pick are the only two in Start Up.

ed-0 18:01 08 Dec 06

Go to start > run > msconfig > startup.

Un-tick everything except for your anti-virus and 3rd party firewall, if you have one. Apply and OK.

It will ask you to reboot, pick yes.

When windows restarts you will get an information box that tells you that your are running the " system configuration utility ". Just pop a tick in the box that says " don't notify me " when windows restarts.

See if this any better.

Dartdesc 14:36 29 Dec 06

Problem solved (I hope). I have disabled automatic windows update and this seems to have cured the problem. I just need to manually update windows every so often now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…