CPU usage 100% with multimedia files

eangulo 15:17 27 Aug 03

Can anybody help me with this problem. Everytime I tried to play any large multimedia file (mpg, mov, avi, etc) or even a DVD, the CPU jumps to 100% usage. I have a Toshiba Laptop, with a pentium III processor 850 MHz. 128 Mb RAM. Running Windows 2000. I know the problem is independent from the player because I have tried playing the movies with several programs, all with the same result. I already tried installing the lastest service pack (SP4) and nothing. I really don't know what else to do.

Ben Avery 15:28 27 Aug 03

What exactly seems to be the problem? Having Kernal usage at 100% is not a problem in itself, it simply means that the CPU is using all it energy to play the movie you want to watch.

If it only ran at 70% then the CPU wouldn't be getting the best out of your movie would it?

BA

eangulo 17:51 27 Aug 03

The problem is that when I try to play a movie the computer is not able to play it continuosly, but rather like a sequence of several image shots. It's like watching the movie in slow motion. If you know what I mean?

-pops- 17:57 27 Aug 03

What other programs do you have running in the background? Shut them down if not essential.

The specifications of your machine are not exactly generous for intensive multimedia and you may find that an increase in the RAM may make a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…