Cpu usage 100% with external firewire hard drive

hanslogie 22:37 15 Jan 03
  hanslogie 22:37 15 Jan 03

Hi, I've got a problem with an external firewire hard drive (a Lacie d2 drive). When I try to access the drive in explorer (just browsing through the files and directories) the cpu usage rockets to 100%. Shortly after that explorer freezes, and cpu usage goes back to normal when explorer is shut down. Needless to say that the external drive is pretty much useless for the time being. I reinstalled the OS and the necessary drivers but the problem persists.

The computer is a recent one with Win XP as OS. The motherboard only has USB 1.1 support so I bought a firewire-USB2.0 combo card. I just can't get the Lacie drive to work on that computer. The same external hard drive does work normally on another computer (also Win XP as OS, but with a firewire expansion card).

If anyone could identify what the problem is, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

€dstow 08:31 16 Jan 03

Have you tried the firewire card that you know works in the computer that doesn't work? If you see what I mean.

If that combination works OK it indicates a fault in the combo card or a fault with the drive/combo card together.

I recall that some firewire cards were specifically designed to operate with webcams/video cams and didn't have the full versatility of a firewire card proper. You may have one of those.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…