cpu usage at 100%

tarkus 22:22 06 Apr 03

can some one please help, a freind has a packard bell pc with a celeron 2ghz cpu and 256 meg ram (64 meg of it shared with the graphics chip)and is running windows xp home, i was going to install Norton internet security as he is getting b/band and has been running without any a/v for 5 months, it took over 1 hour to install so did a ctrl-alt-del to shut every running prog down except systray and explorer and still the cpu showed it was running at 100% the whole system seems very slugish and can take upto 20 seconds for any program to open. this pc is only 7 months old. apparntly it has always been like this and the pc world staff told him this was how long it took for xp to open a program. any ideas on why the cpu usage should always be at 100%

Soy (AKA tran1) 22:27 06 Apr 03

If you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and look at the system processes, you can find out what is hogging the system. Post the name of it and someone should be able to help.

tarkus 22:38 06 Apr 03

as i said the only things running were sys tray and explorer i had shut everything else down and still the cpu was running at 100%

woodchip 22:47 06 Apr 03

Virus onboard

LastChip 22:49 06 Apr 03

Perhaps he's already got a virus.

You could try one of the on-line virus checkers and see what it comes up with, but with everything shut down, the CPU usage should be minimal.

GroupFC 22:50 06 Apr 03

I have been using XP home, on lesser specs for about six months and it doesn't take 20seconds to load anything! The PC world staff were not telling your friend the right story!

As he hasn't had any a/v for five months I suggest you check for a virus problem!

click here for an on line health check.

tarkus 22:50 06 Apr 03

thats what i thought exect that i cant now get norton to run as it takes to long for it to open any suggestions

GroupFC 22:52 06 Apr 03

great minds think alike. But being a relative newcomer and something of a novice I wouldn't dare!!

Steinman 22:58 06 Apr 03

Is ya friend running a screen saver ? Turn it off.
Or, is there a 'theme' (font/icons etc) running on the pc?

Go back to XP basic & try again.

tarkus 23:06 06 Apr 03

Thanks for all help going to get pc back here and do a complete clean and reinstall, only problem is that pc doesn't come with any disks all the files are on another partition you have to use a floppy to access them to be able to restore the pc to how it came out of PC World

woodchip 23:07 06 Apr 03

It may be a good time to save docs and run the restore disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…