CPU usage 100% ????

The Innkeeper 18:52 06 Dec 03

I have new compaq PC, running Windows XP.
At the moment it is running painfully slowly. When I open Task Manager it says that CPU usage is 100% even though I dont have anything running.
How can this be 100%?

Diodorus Siculus 18:56 06 Dec 03

In the task manager, what is under applications?

Have a look at click here for details of what you can turn off at startup.

The Innkeeper 19:10 06 Dec 03

Applications shows nothing.
Processes has 33 things listed

VoG II 19:11 06 Dec 03

Do you have fully up to date anti-virus? If not try an online scan click here or click here

Then check for spyware using Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

JIM 19:19 06 Dec 03

when you look in th task manager, and processes,out of the 33 things listed,what item shows 100%

Check that windows auto updates are off incase it is downloading

The Innkeeper 19:39 06 Dec 03

Out of the 33 processes the one showing the highest percentage is SYSTEM (usually at least 80%) but that shows a Mem Usage of only 28K

JIM 22:39 06 Dec 03

you say a new system,if very new i would be intouch with there support first.

What is the Spec of your system? Ram wise? Cpu intel?

Have you done an online virus scan etc as suggested by our friend VoG? "If" your very sure you have covered that area completely,

check the "indexing service" is set to manual,via the adminstrative tools in the control panel by selecting the services shortcut.

Also check out via Msconfig, and disable all startup items and after reboot see what task manager reports.Or when in system config you could Select the Diagnostic startup apply reboot then checkout task manager and see what is shown cpu wise.Reverse after.

Is there any thing you have added, installed, or altered of late that may have changed since you had your new system?

Do check out online virus scan etc well first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…