CPU upgrade for Socket A (462) motherboard

DJ-Garry 02:21 31 Mar 11

Hi guys :)

I have got hold of an old PC base unit running XP Home 2002 sp3. It was a bit slow, so I put the max of 2GB DDR in it, but was wondering what the maximum CPU I could put in this machine was?
At the moment, it has an Athlon XP 2400+, core @2014.5 x 15 on a 134.3 bus (this info from CPU-Z)

The pdf manual for the MSI MS-6390 mobo can be seen at: click here It took a few mins to load onto my screen for some reason. It looks all there though.

My intension is to try to get as good a CPU as I can get from eBay or somewhere similar :)

Many thanks, Garry

Thalmus 08:19 31 Mar 11

Any Athlon, Athlon XP, or Duron processor. Just get the fastest speed you can afford

Thalmus 08:20 31 Mar 11

That is if you can still buy them, that's a pretty old socket

DJ-Garry 11:21 31 Mar 11

Thanks Thalmus :)
So the XP is the better out of the three then, yes?

Thalmus 11:33 31 Mar 11

Yeah its the better of the three, but it is still 11 years old. IMHO you're better off ditching it getting a cheap modern motherboard and CPU, which will probably work out cheaper than trying get an Athlon XP which will probably be too slow to even run flash player

DJ-Garry 11:35 31 Mar 11

The system I got is running ok with it's 2400 XP, but for about £25 I can get a 3200 XP on eBay, which will speed it up a bit. I've already got the DDR Ram for it now, so it will keep it running at a reasonable speed for a couple of more years :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now