CPU Upgrade - results in PC Dead as a door nail

Will 15:14 31 Dec 08

I have a
MB: BIOSTAR Group P4M90-M7 Ver:1.0
2 gigs of Ram
CPU Intel Pentium dual core 2gig E2180
450watt PSU

I have just purchased a 2.5gig E5200 and the computer won't even produce the start up screen? It doesn't even flash the screen up?

The only difference I can see between the chips besides the stated speed is that the "45nm" as apposed to "65nm" with all the other Intel Pentium Dual core processors. Could this be the problem? or could it be the PSU? any ideas out there. I don't believe I have done anything wrong fitting it as this processor when I put it back in works okay. Any ideas?

rickf 15:25 31 Dec 08

Make sure your M/B can handle it first. Could the power supply conections have come loose during installation of CPU? What about BIOS settings?

Will 15:29 31 Dec 08

yea the MB I am starting to wonder about... but I would have thought the same slot should be able to handle it. The power cables are okay. And finally the BIOS settings, what would I be changing there? With the new chip in the screen isn't even activted.

Why wont it work 15:34 31 Dec 08

Unfortunately it would appear that your new cpu is not compatible with your motherboard. There isn't really anything you can do other than replace the okd cpu to get things working again I'm afraid. See here:

click here

Why wont it work 15:35 31 Dec 08

fiddle, you just beat me to it!

Will 16:27 31 Dec 08

Balls!!!!! Thank you guys, Best the wife doesn't see this message :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…