CPU upgrade problem

Totally-braindead 15:02 14 Nov 03

I've just upgraded my CPU from an AMD 1600 to a AMD 2500 on a Gigabyte GA7VAXP mainboard, replacing the memory as well. Now the problem I have is this, it appears to be running at 1466mhz which I believe was the speed of the old CPU, I've looked at the Bios settings and to be honest they don't appear to be much help, any changes I have made have either made no difference whatsoever or its caused the computer not to boot at all. If I reset the CMOS would that enable the board to see the CPU and set everything to the correct speeds? The Bios has been flashed to the latest update so I know this is not the problem.

Legolas 15:09 14 Nov 03

Try resetting the CMOS and if you have the M/B manual see if you have to change a jumper setting to get the CPU to run at the correct speed.

Legolas 15:16 14 Nov 03

After loooking at the Gigabyte web site it would appear that you can change the CPU setting via the BIOS and a dip switch on the M/B

Legolas 15:17 14 Nov 03

Sorry here is the link
click here

Totally-braindead 15:20 14 Nov 03

Thanks Legolas I'll try resetting the CMOS first and take it from there.

Mr Tinkles II 16:02 14 Nov 03

could it be ther fact the 2500 is a barton core? maybe , maybe not

Totally-braindead 16:12 14 Nov 03

Eventually got it working by manually setting the relevant speeds via the jumpers on the board. I was meant to be able to do it via the Bios but couldn't work out how to do it that way. Thanks to all.

dth 17:34 14 Nov 03

Can I jump into your post 'Totally Braindead'. I have a XP1600 and was looking to upgrade to XP2500 - (with a new motherboard - as my existing doesn't support the higher chip size and fsb).

But is it worth it? Can you notice the speed increase?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…