Cpu upgrade for friend (need info on amd sempron)

dave726587 07:49 03 Aug 08

hey, a friend of mine wants to upgrade his cpu.

He currently has an Amd Sempron 2600+ (1.8ghz) cpu with 333 fsb.
Other info:

Socket = Socket A 462

can somebody tell me what the highest version of the sempron his motherboard will take

i know its an old model, but he doesnt have the money to buy a new pc so please give me some info

thanks

dermot-titus 10:25 03 Aug 08

need to know the motherboards model number to find out what is the best one.

These are old prossessoers and you will have to get a second hand one.

Jim_F 17:21 03 Aug 08

The fastest Skt 462 I am aware of on a 333 ghz bus speed is the Athlon XP 2800+ - if the mobo and memory go up to 400 ghz then a 3200+ was available.

I'm not sure that the benefits would be all that much as the chipset was very much towards the end of its working life - depending on the bottlenecks your friends system memory or graphics could be s better bet.

woodchip 18:26 03 Aug 08

The way to go with, is to fit a Athlon Barton as its a 333. and the Sempron is the cheapo version of it less cache. Is this a New Computer or the old 462 Socket A

woodchip 18:29 03 Aug 08
  MarvintheAndroid 21:21 03 Aug 08

Agree with Jim_F, you will probably not notice much difference at all. If you want a noticeable improvement, upgrade the mobo and use a newer class of processor.

Marv.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…