CPU upgrade on Dell Dimension E521

drybones 12:36 26 Jul 09

Hi all
my dell pc at the moment has a AMD Athlon X2 4200 CPU in it,I would like to put a larger CPU in, has any-one done this, if so could you advise me with regards as to which cpu to go for,it must be AMD or it will mean a change of mobo as well,also would I need to put in a much bigger PSU it is running on Dells standard one at the moment. Hope there is some-one that can give me a few words of wisdom, many thanks for reading this.

Mr Mistoffelees 13:48 26 Jul 09

Unfortunately you have an outdated CPU socket on your motherboard but, I found this click here on the positive side, it is very cheap.

retep888 14:37 26 Jul 09

I believe the AMD 1640 LE is a single core,you can put this one in click here and if you prefer,with an optional cooling fan click here

BTW I'd suggest you either upgrading your RAM or particularly the graphic card to a mininum of this click here if you're on serious gaming.

Quiller. 15:23 26 Jul 09

Sucess! After researching all over the web. I'm writing in hopes of helping someone. I just upgraded CPU in my Dell E521 with Nforce 430 chipset, 6150LE integrated video to an AMD 3.1 GHZ Athlon 64 X2 6000+ ADV60000DOBOX with no problems. With one exception, my bios is 1.0.3 and when I upgraded my bios to 1.1.10 , my bios wouldn't remember settings and would loop until I hit F12 and enter the boot setup, and boot into Windows. This may or may not happen to you but I had to revert back to 1.0.3. I know this topic is old but I hope it can help someone wanting to upgrade their Dell E521. This is the best CPU for the E521!!! I was able to overclock it using CBID and ClockGen. Run CBID and change the multiplier to 15. Run ClockGen and change the speed to 3.392 GHZ!!!. I guess I'm just lucky! You better buy before AMD discontinues this product!"

from click here

drybones 17:20 26 Jul 09

Dick Tattor.
This is the sort of thing I had in mind I will have to get the Grandson on the job.
Mr Mistoffelees the CPU is a twin core not a single its 2x2.2 ghzand still up to the job many thanks for the suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…