CPU upgrade

jerica 08:46 10 Jun 11

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my proccessor, I've found one that will do the job and is the right price, my problem is that I'm running XP on one drive and 7ultimate on the other, my question is if I upgrade will it effect either of the OS's and also I may have to update the BIOS so will this effect either of them? Grateful for any help.

gengiscant 09:03 10 Jun 11

Would be helpful if you could have mentioned your current CPU and your upgrade choice. But by and large it should just be a case of removing the old and installing the new, help here http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=how+to+upgrade+cpu&cp=17&pf=p&sclient=psy&rlz=1R2GGHPen-GBGB431&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=how+to+upgrade+cp&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.rgc.r_pw.&fp=22157933aa0f08cd&biw=1920&bih=999

gengiscant 09:04 10 Jun 11

Would be helpful if you could have mentioned your current CPU and your upgrade choice. But by and large it should just be a case of removing the old and installing the new, help here Change CPU I have know idea what happened with the above.

woodchip 09:13 10 Jun 11

It may be a problem with the MS registration but otherwise it should be okay

For BIOS you may need to update it if its the top CPU you can go to on the Motherboard, It should tell you in Motherboard Manual

jerica 09:18 10 Jun 11

Hi, now it's a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ and I was thinking of going to a Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHZ or even a Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHZ. It's going on an Asus P5K SE Motherboard.

woodchip 09:29 10 Jun 11

You need to check your motherboard Manual what it will take, you are at the Rudder there as you have the Manual

jerica 09:38 10 Jun 11

According to the Asus website either are fine, the main concern was the duel install of OS's and the possible upgrading of the BIOS.

woodchip 09:41 10 Jun 11

OS as nothing to do with it other than MS doing a Hardware check when you reboot if OS are oem. As I said you need to check Manual to see if you will need to update the BIOS for the new CPU to Run

woodchip 09:42 10 Jun 11

OS as nothing to do with it other than MS doing a Hardware check when you reboot if OS are oem. As I said you need to check Manual to see if you will need to update the BIOS for the new CPU to Run.

PS if you need to update BIOS, this as to be done with the Old CPU in place as it will not run without it being able to see the CPU

jerica 14:39 10 Jun 11

OK, ta for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now