cpu upgrade

casper69 07:37 14 Mar 06

hi
ive got a athlon xp 1700 and am going to upgrade to a 4000, when i swap over the cpu will i need to install a new operating system or will my pc still run normal but just more faster
cheers

JayDay 07:49 14 Mar 06

No need to re-install your OS.

ed-0 08:01 14 Mar 06

You will not be able to just swap a XP 1700 to a 4000 with the same motherboard. They take totally different processors. You would also need to change the motherboard.

Are you also changing the motherboard?

casper69 08:54 14 Mar 06

ed-0
im just upgrading the cpu im not sure if its a 4000 but it will be the same socket size as my 1700 just more faster so just swapping them over should work then?
If i did swap the cpu and the motherboard but kept my hard drive and everything else would i need to get a new operating system?
cheers

Diodorus Siculus 08:56 14 Mar 06

[quote]ust swapping them over should work[/quote]

You will likely have to make some changes in the BIOS re. multipliers and so forth to be sure that it will work.

Also, it will depend on the BIOS - many need to be upgraded to make use of faster processors.

Do you know the motherboard that you have? click here
SIW will ID it for you.

ed-0 09:01 14 Mar 06

If it is the same socket size, it should be fine.

That will not affect windows loading. Just make sure the motherboard can take the faster cpu.

Most boards will auto detect a new cpu and run straight away. You may have to go into the bios if it doesn't as Diodorus Siculus has said.

keef66 09:08 14 Mar 06

There's more to it than just the same socket.
I have an Athlon XP 2100+ and have given up on the idea of upgrading it. Even with a bios flash, the fastest my mobo will take is a 2600+, but it has to be the Thoroughbred 133 mhz fsb version, which is unobtainable new. Besides which the performance increase would probably not be worth the cost.

I'd be amazed if you could simply upgrade from a 1700 to a 4000 on the same mobo.
As Diodorus Siculus says, first id your mobo then visit the manufacturers website for cpu compatibility info.

Good luck

Keef

Harpur 09:20 14 Mar 06

ypu may want to consider that if as you say you only have to change the cpu, at what speed does your ram run at and will it create a bottleneck

Diodorus Siculus 09:22 14 Mar 06

[quote]Most boards will auto detect a new cpu and run straight away.[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that - modern ones will but one that currently has a 1700mhz processor is unlikely to take kindly to a 4000 being installed.

What sort of processor is going in?

ed-0 09:26 14 Mar 06

[quote]Most boards will auto detect a new cpu and run straight away.[/quote]

In the contex of

" If it is the same socket size, " and " Just make sure the motherboard can take the faster cpu." From the same post.

As pointed out from the first post

"You will not be able to just swap a XP 1700 to a 4000 with the same motherboard. They take totally different processors. You would also need to change the motherboard."

It is physically impossible to just swap a 1700+ with a 4000

the 1700+ is 423 pin

the 4000 is 939 pin.

rmcqua 09:27 14 Mar 06

I think that unless casper69 can tell us exactly what new CPU he is planning to use, we are not going to be able to help mmuch more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…