cpu upgrade

markdriver22 19:11 01 Jan 05

I have a 4 year old computer which has an AMD Athlon 850mhz processor it has a biostar M7VKB Motherboard. unfortunatly I cannot afford a new computer.so Iwould like to upgrade the cpu on this one. according to Biostars web-site the max. frequency for this motherboard is an AMD Athlon 1.4ghz(100mhz.Where is the best place to by this cpu, as it is a relatively small processor by todays standards and is it easy for an idiot like me to fit??

woodchip 19:17 01 Jan 05

Don't think you will buy one now unless it's old stock or from a computer fair

Arthur Scrimshaw 19:32 01 Jan 05

There are several going on ebay for about £4 (at present) - don't think you will find a new one anywhere. It's a risk buying s/h but it's not a big loss if it goes pear shaped.

You will need to check if your cpu cooler is ok for the Athlon and buy some thermal compound to join the heatsink and cpu - just follow the instructions with the compound and make sure you are static free before touching anything.

Try this site for advice click here

woodchip 19:39 01 Jan 05

Why not get a new mobo and CPU? I got this click here
to replace one that blew. and this click here
Whent strait in no fiddling

Arthur Scrimshaw 19:54 01 Jan 05

They are great prices - but won't markdriver22 have to replace memory as well - then the cost is starting to nudge £100?

Dorsai 19:57 01 Jan 05

I had the same problem as you. I had an M7VKD Mobo, and when i tried to find faster processor, i found that while i could go to XP2000 (1.6GHz), there were (if i remember right) 3 different versions of this chip made, and that only one of the three was compatible with the board. Trying to find a Palomino cored chip proved Mission-Impossible. Production had ceased yonks ago.

I got a new mobo, CPU and PSU.

woodchip 21:16 01 Jan 05

May need a 256Mb DDR thats all I have in both AMD desktopWin98se and Celeron 2.6 Desktop XP. but have 512mb in XP laptop

goonerbill © ® 00:16 02 Jan 05

if you do decide to get new mobo and cpu, would choose this cpu click here over the one recommended by woodchip ( who always gives good advice ), newer, faster and not much difference in price and comes with h/s.

ensonricky 00:36 02 Jan 05

Agree with goonerbill about his choice of CPU as well as his comments about woodchip. The Sempron 2500+ is basically a trimmed down version of the well regarded Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with 256 cache not 512.
Whatever you decide I am sure the knowledgeble and helpful forum members will make it work.

goonerbill © ® 11:09 02 Jan 05

Heres a good site for what ever you decide, upgrade your present system or to go down the new mobo/cpu path (for some reason are not listing semprons).

click here

woodchip 15:55 02 Jan 05

If you use the sempron with the board I put above you may need to do some work and risk, as I think it needs the BIOS flashing to work with sempron

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5